DE usage

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by huntercf, Jul 6, 2010.

1. huntercf

huntercf Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2010
    I saw some DE at Lowe's today and wondered if I can use that around my chickens? I looked for food grade on the packaging but it didn't say, it did say to keep it away from children and pets.

2. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Sounds like industrial grade DE. You probably shouldn't use that stuff anywhere near your chickens.

3. kla37

kla37 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
    The stuff at the big box stores isn't food grade or for use around livestock. Farm supply stores usually carry it, I know our local Southern States does. It has to be a kind that is approved for use for livestock. I mix some in with the chickens' dust bath box in their run, and sprinkle it occasionally in their bedding and run. Use in feed too to help prevent intestinal parasites.

4. huntercf

huntercf Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2010
    Thanks, I thought that is wasn't safe to use, just wanted to check.

5. Paaz1120

Paaz1120 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Mesa, AZ
    Your local Feed store will have DE. and it is usually pretty cheap. Thats where I get mine.
    I actually have to get some more tomorrow.

6. Wolfwoman

Wolfwoman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Chickaloon, Alaska
    It needs to say FOOD GRADE on it, or you'll be killing things you don't want to.

7. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Lowes carries agricultural grade and/or food grade DE in the section with organic pesticides. They also carry pool filter DE in the section with pool chemicals. Read the package and the listed uses.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by