DE users?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chicken parm, Apr 3, 2009.

1. chicken parm

chicken parm Out Of The Brooder

Nov 19, 2008
    delaware
    just got my 1st bag of food grade DE. any one else using this? what applications and with what results.

2. Mandalina

Mandalina Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Savannah,MO
    i have been looking for it in my area and cant find it, but i want some. i need to upgrade my internet searchin skillz!

3. chicken parm

chicken parm Out Of The Brooder

Nov 19, 2008
    delaware
    I got it from earthworkshealth.com it was $14 for 10lb. bag, but shipping was $13.20. eek! but if it helps it's worth it to me.

4. skooterbumm

skooterbumm Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2009
    Waco, TX
    does it have to be food grade?

5. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    I got mine from custommilling.com It was around 50 bucks for a 50 lb bag which I am STILL using (a year now) and that is including shipping. And that way I know for SURE that it's food grade. It has to be pure white. Looks like baby powder actually. I LOVE the stuff. Put it in their food and once a month I will dust them with it so they don't get lice or mites. Never once had a problems with bugs or worms.

6. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Skooter...YES it MUST be food grade or it will kill your chickens. Just be sure it is the pure white stuff it should not be tan or even a little tan. Someone on here had a great thread out on DE I will look for it. She has all the info listed in the thread that should be on the bag

7. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Check out the page I put together about food grade DE and how I use it: Food Grade DE

I explain how, where, why I use it plus there's also a section that lists several different places that you can buy it from.

I've been using it for 2 years and our birds have never suffered from lice, mites.

Hope this helps!

Dawn

8. skooterbumm

skooterbumm Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2009
    Waco, TX
    thanks a bunch, I saw this in passing on here but didnot mark it. There is so much info on here i forgot where i read it.

9. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    This is a quote from Specledhen from another thread...this is what it should say on the bag of Diatomatious earth (DE)

First, it must be FOOD GRADE DE, not the stuff Home Depot sells. And it isnt easy to find. I have to drive an hour and pay $32 for a 50 lb bag. It does last for months, though. The bag will say Chemical Codex Food Grade. The other stuff is for cleaning pool filters.​

10. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Thanks Dawn! Your the one I was thinking of [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by