DE: what's wrong with non- food grade?

Southernbelle

Gone Broody
12 Years
Mar 17, 2008
Virginia
I'm having a hard time finding DE in our area and a family-owned feedstore carries DE, but not food grade. I haven't bought any, yet, but wanted to know, what's so bad about it?

Then, does anyone reccommend a site I can order food-grade DE from?

it is poisonous to humans and animals and can be LETHAL. Do you REALLY want to take a chance on using non-food grade DE???
ETA: do a search online for food grade DE and you'll find multiple sources; choose the one which offers the right size for your needs and is closest to you or has reasonable S/H charges.

Last edited:
Custommilling is the cheapest I have found for shipping in my area. Shipping is not cheap but it's WORTH getting the food grade kind. They don't have it in my area either! Seems it's not a very popular thing to carry which I can't figure out why! I wonder if most chicken owners around our areas don't even know about it?

http://www.custommilling.com/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1

Thank you so much for all the replies and links! I knew there was a difference, but I didn't know what. I appreciate all the information!

To be food grade it has to have less than 3% crystalline silica. The non-food grade can kill you, let alone your chickens! I sell Perma-Guard Codex Food Grade DE which is the purest on the market. It has less than one half of one percent of crystalline silica. PM me for more info if you need it.

Back
Top Bottom