DE: what's wrong with non- food grade?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Southernbelle, Sep 13, 2008.

1. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    I'm having a hard time finding DE in our area and a family-owned feedstore carries DE, but not food grade. I haven't bought any, yet, but wanted to know, what's so bad about it?

Then, does anyone reccommend a site I can order food-grade DE from?

2. WisconsinChick

WisconsinChick Chillin' With My Peeps

non food grade is chemecially treated and would make you really ill if you ate it.

3. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

it is poisonous to humans and animals and can be LETHAL. Do you REALLY want to take a chance on using non-food grade DE???
    ETA: do a search online for food grade DE and you'll find multiple sources; choose the one which offers the right size for your needs and is closest to you or has reasonable S/H charges.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2008
  4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

5. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Custommilling is the cheapest I have found for shipping in my area. Shipping is not cheap but it's WORTH getting the food grade kind. They don't have it in my area either! Seems it's not a very popular thing to carry which I can't figure out why! I wonder if most chicken owners around our areas don't even know about it?

http://www.custommilling.com/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1

6. I use GoldenBlend Group, I pay$20.00 for 50 lbs, but my dealer also sells food for exotic animal like lama's and so I pick it up at the flea market where he has a stall. marrie

7. jmeeter88

jmeeter88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    New Hartford, NY
    Isn't diatomaceous earth the stuff you spread around your garden to kill slugs?

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Yes, it is, but this is not that type. Regular DE has 85% silicon and the Food grade is around 1%. You can even put it in the feed to keep bugs out. Cant do that with regular DE.

9. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    Thank you so much for all the replies and links! I knew there was a difference, but I didn't know what. I appreciate all the information!

10. spatcher

spatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Virginia - Southside
    To be food grade it has to have less than 3% crystalline silica. The non-food grade can kill you, let alone your chickens! I sell Perma-Guard Codex Food Grade DE which is the purest on the market. It has less than one half of one percent of crystalline silica. PM me for more info if you need it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by