DE - where can I purchase it besides online?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by zengrrl, Jun 4, 2011.

1. zengrrl

zengrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Oakland County, MI
    Even if the price is good, the shipping is a deal breaker. Do they sell it at TSC or Lowes? The hardware store maybe? Going to find some tomorrow if I can.

2. JPHorvath

JPHorvath Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:If you are looking for some clean dirt for the birds to dust in don't waist your money you or the birds do not need it. Just give them a dry spot of yard dirt. Unless if you are living on a toxic dump; your chickens Do Not need Diatomaceous Earth for dusting.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2011
  3. DC1

DC1 New Egg

Mar 28, 2011
    We got a 50 pound bag from the feed shop....

4. XxKiki_Bantam_BreederxX

XxKiki_Bantam_BreederxX Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Michigan
    TSC does have it, but they call it "Fossil Shell flour". When we said Diatomecious Earth, they looked at us like we were from Mars, LOL!

5. Tool

Tool Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2011
    Quote:Which feed store? Local or chain?

6. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Quote:Which feed store? Local or chain?

You need to go to whatever feedstores you have, the little independantly owned ones are more apt to be helpful but try whatever ya got, and ASK them for it, they may not have it in stock but may be able to order from their suppliers.

Pat

7. PonderingChick

PonderingChick Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2011
    Lacey, WA
    I am wondering if this is the same DE as what is sold in 50# bags at pool and spa stores for re-charging DE pool filters.

8. diggergal

diggergal Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    Illinois
    NO- it MUST be FOOD GRADE- I checked with a local feed supplier in my area and they also called it -fossil shell flour- it said food grade right on the label. Cost me $26 for a 50 lb bag.

9. zengrrl

zengrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Oakland County, MI
    Quote:If you are looking for some clean dirt for the birds to dust in don't waist your money you or the birds do not need it. Just give them a dry spot of yard dirt. Unless if you are living on a toxic dump; your chickens Do Not need Diatomaceous Earth for dusting.

Actually just for pest control, they have sand in their coop and run. I'll check TSC.

10. turbodog

turbodog Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Independence, La.
    Quote:TSC has it? My local one doesn't and I don't see it on the TSC website. Lucky you to have one that has it. I can't find it at any feed stores around here .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by