De-wormers

PBchick213

In the Brooder
Jul 16, 2020
First time chicken keeper. I’ve been researching about de-worming chickens twice a year with a medication. My chickens do free range for about an hour a day, they eat live slugs,beetles, earthworms and soldier fly larvae. I have been giving them DE (once a month for 1 week mixed in with their food) crushed garlic once a week and pumpkin seeds daily.
I plan to de-worm my flock with Safeguard (Fenbendazole). My chickens are 17 weeks old and not laying yet. Do you have to treat for roundworms first before using a more broad spectrum wormer like Safeguard?
Since I cannot find Wazine (Piperazine) What would you use instead to treat roundworms if treating for them is necessary prior to a more broad spectrum treatment?

First time chicken keeper. I’ve been researching about de-worming chickens twice a year with a medication. My chickens do free range for about an hour a day, they eat live slugs,beetles, earthworms and soldier fly larvae. I have been giving them DE (once a month for 1 week mixed in with their food) crushed garlic once a week and pumpkin seeds daily.
I plan to de-worm my flock with Safeguard (Fenbendazole). My chickens are 17 weeks old and not laying yet. Do you have to treat for roundworms first before using a more broad spectrum wormer like Safeguard?
Since I cannot find Wazine (Piperazine) What would you use instead to treat roundworms if treating for them is necessary prior to a more broad spectrum treatment?
Welcome to BYC!
Fenbedazole treats round worms.
The DE, garlic and pumpkin seeds are unfortunately not going to prevent worms. Keeping their environment DRY and clean will go a long way towards prevention.
It would be best if you got a fecal float before treating for worms.

Thanks! I have one hen that has a pale comb, hasn’t gained as much weight as her flock mates. She is eating well and most of the time she seems active but occasionally I find her laying down more than the other hens. Her poop seems more loose than the other hens. I wanted to try to avoid the fecal testing since our local vets charge too much money for it. How much should a float test be?

Thanks! I have one hen that has a pale comb, hasn’t gained as much weight as her flock mates. She is eating well and most of the time she seems active but occasionally I find her laying down more than the other hens. Her poop seems more loose than the other hens. I wanted to try to avoid the fecal testing since our local vets charge too much money for it. How much should a float test be?
Ask @Sue Gremlin how much!

It should be at least $20 at a vet's office.

I can help you if you are willing to mail me a fecal sample. (and if you are in the US). I don't charge for this yet, so if you are interested, PM me.

I recommend doing a fecal because my chicken actually had coccidiosis, although mild, and I was able to treat all the chickens before the rest of the chickens showed any signs of it.

Hi Sue, thank you. I will PM you.
I recommend doing a fecal because my chicken actually had coccidiosis, although mild, and I was able to treat all the chickens before the rest of the chickens showed any signs of it.
Thanks Hayley, did you use Corid to treat?
I sent a sample to Sue. Looking forward to the results so I can treat if needed, thanks so much!

Back
Top Bottom