De-Worming 1st time

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by CaradineCousins, Mar 27, 2017.

1. CaradineCousins

CaradineCousins Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2015
    Birmingham Alabama
    Hello I am getting ready to de-worm my one year-old flock . I have noticed that a lot of my eggs have poop on them , I am going to use a product called wazine that is safe for turkeys chickens and swine. I am not very good at solving math problems. on the instructions it says per 100 chickens to use 2 fluid ounces, I have 14 hens can someone help me with the formula that I need to use to add to their water.

I had asked the clerk at the co-op if we are able to consume the eggs after the de-worming he said that the bottle states no but he does and had no problem with it so do you think it would be safe to consume the eggs or not.

Thanks for your help
    Sunday

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    @CaradineCousins , welcome to BYC! Can you have a vet check their poop for worms? Any vet can do it. [​IMG] Or you could send some poop to this place:
    http://www.midamericaagresearch.net/instructions.php

If you decide to worm, just use the 2 ounce per gallon amount, it's well within the safe dosing range. Keep in mind that Wazine (piperazine) only treats large roundworms. FWIW, in Canada and Australia, piperazine has a zero day egg with withdrawal.

Quote: Above from FARAD (Food Animal Residue Avoidance Databank)
    http://www.usfarad.org/drug-wdi-faqs.html

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
  3. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    If you believe that your eggs have poop on them b/c the birds have worms, you are mis-informed. They have poop on them b/c you have one or more birds who's cloaca does not properly block off the intestine. http://www.motherrisingbirth.com/2011/08/wisdom-wednesday-chicken-egg-exit.html

I'm guessing you've been watching a video by a self proclaimed poultry expert who states that poopy eggs are caused by wormy chickens. Not so.

IMO you should never worm an animal unless you've had a fecal float test done and the results indicate a parasite load sufficient enough to WARRANT worming that animal. Many vets are now changing their song regarding worming of animals to support best practice being to not medicate unless the animal has a parasite load that indicates the need for medication.

1 person likes this.
  4. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Did you know that in some situations a vet will recommend worming even is the fecal test is negative?

5. lazy gardener

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    I"d be changing vets for sure. That's total foolishness.

6. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    It's not foolish... I know of one bird that had a negative fecal one day, then a positive one 2-3 days later, and it wasn't just a few eggs, it was a "severe" amount of caplliary and coccidia.

Having fecals done is only part of the equation. One must also look at overall health and history of the bird and the flock. Do you have a vet? If so, ask them and see what they say.

7. lazy gardener

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE

8. mobius

mobius Chillin' With My Peeps

I agree that the chickens don't need to be wormed unless there is a fecal test...but what to do about poopy eggs? I have read the same, that their cloaca doesn't close properly...and I think I have at least a couple chickens with this problem...I know it is not the nest boxes. [​IMG] The boxes are clean and they don't sleep in them, and their fuzzy butts are clean...I am worried that the cloaca is not closing properly...

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
  9. lazy gardener

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    You either cull that bird, if you can figure out who she is, or you continue to wash the eggs that need it, and clean the nest as needed.

10. mobius

mobius Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]. I will wash eggs. I just wish there was something i could do. Too much fiber? Too little? etc etc. This didn't happen when they first started laying, but after their molt I have noticed when they restarted this seems to be going on. Arg. They are otherwise healthy, sleek, shiny, friendly ad infinitum.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by