De-worming chickens

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BrendaJ, Jan 1, 2013.

1. BrendaJ

BrendaJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2012
    Oregon
    My chickens are not showing any signs of worms but i hear a lot of talk about de-worming.
    Curious what others use to de-worm? Routine or only if you see worms? Natural or chemical?
    2 local feed stores recommend Wazine 17 - is it really safe to eat eggs after 2 weeks?

2. JerseyGiantfolk

JerseyGiantfolk Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2012
    Wazine17 kills large roundworms. Fenbendazole (is for gape worms.... oops) Valbazen kills different kinds, a good choice. I worm mine after a wet then warm week or are showing symptoms (pale eggs, watery feces). I eat the eggs after 2 weeks. Never got sick, never felt any different. It's good to hit the worms hard when you start to notice them.

Dosage:
    1 ounce of Wazine 17 per gallon of water.

Let them drink only out of that water for 24 hours. Rinse out and fill with regular water. Wait 10 days. Worm again for 24 hours. Finish by filling waterers with regular water. Then all the roundworms should be gone.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  3. Mehjr10

Mehjr10 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2012
    Moscow, TN
    Search post about using Valbazen 1/2 ml per bird given orally. Post By Dawg are good ones to read. Broad spectrum wormer will kill all retreat in 10 days. I do mine at night while they are roosting..

By the time you see worms in the poo they have it bad.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2013
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by