De-worming meat chickens?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by stanglover2001, May 24, 2010.

1. stanglover2001

stanglover2001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2010
    My question is I'm raising all dual purpose breeds and at 12 weeks I'm gonna butcher as many fat excess roosters I can, so do I need to de-worm them or does anyone de-worm their chickens? I keep hearing different stories and my chickens run is pretty clean and they eat bugs but I didn't see the need to de-worm chickens that I'm gonna kill soon (they're 9 weeks old)... any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated [​IMG]

2. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    No Only for chickens not intended for human consumption. De-worming taints the meat . Plus young healthy chickens shouldnt need worming [​IMG]

3. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    [​IMG] BTW

4. stanglover2001

stanglover2001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2010
    What about the hens and roosters you plan on keeping to lay eggs and breed? Is there a need as long as you keep them in a clean environment? The only reason I ask my neighbors both said they de-worm theirs but they keep alot more and the pens are mostly mudd and mine isn't. I'm just making sure I'm keeping my chickens healthy since I am a first time owner. Thank you usschicago1 for the advice [​IMG]

5. CARS

CARS Chillin' With My Peeps

I've never de-wormed any of my bird. I'm going to watch the responses you get [​IMG]

Closest I have come to de-worming is feeding them old pumpkins in the fall. I read that it is a de-wormer.

6. ChikeeMomma

ChikeeMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Mid Michigan
    I have never de-wormed my layers or meaties -- both free range. I do feed them pumpkins also in the fall (I think it's the seeds that are supposed to help).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by