De-worming question - When & with what?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by SIMZ, Nov 13, 2011.

1. SIMZ

SIMZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    Hi everyone! One thing I don't know much about is parasite control. I've read differing opinions and wondered what you all do. My chickens run around outside all day long eating worms, bugs, and digging in compost. We got them in the spring. Should I routinely treat them for worms? If so, when and how often? What is best to use?

What about mites & lice? Do you routinely treat for that or wait until you see that you have a problem?

Thanks in advance!

2. southerndesert

southerndesert B & M Chicken Ranch

Jun 17, 2011
    Morristown, AZ
    We use Valbazen when we have a confirmed case of worms and we just had that today... Tapeworms to boot....

Been a long spell, but we took in some rescue birds a few months back and it is possible or wild wild birds or something they dug up.... [​IMG]

Here is some good info if you are not familiar with Valbazen http://healthybirds.umd.edu/Disease/Deworming Birds.pdf

Some do it regularly and others only when they see worms or have a positive in a fecal test, we just did one 6 months back and was clean, but only a couple stools were tested.

3. SIMZ

SIMZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    Thank you for the link!

As far as testing, do you take samples to your vet or is it somehow possible to do yourself?

4. southerndesert

southerndesert B & M Chicken Ranch

Jun 17, 2011
    Morristown, AZ
    Quote:We take samples to our vet about twice a year and put stools from several birds in a baggie for testing as we have over 40 hens and testing all would be very costly at 11.00 per sample. We also keep an eye out for visible signs in their poop or abnormal diarrhea that can indicate trouble...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by