De worming Roosters!

Thetinyfarm

Chirping
Oct 19, 2021
Alberta Canada
I recently acquired two 16 week old roosters. They’re in isolation now for 30 days away from my flock. The vet gave me panacur deworming paste in a syringe which I then mixed with water and gave orally. Has anyone else used this before? They would not recommend ivermectin or any other dewormer. Also, these roosters have mites/ lice. They’re not infested but they have them. I am using diatomaceous earth to hopefully rid them of this! The vet said that the de licing powder once used is now illegal in Canada as it’s not safe. Anyone else got any info on this?

nuthatched

Fishin' for Chickens
Nov 9, 2019
Rim Country, Az
De as lice treatment can work but poultry dust (pyrethrine) is much more effective. Im not sure about its legality un Canada. Most people use goat wormer and dose according to weight. I don't believe that Invermectin is useful for worms.

MysteryChicken

Gamefowl Are Awesome🐓🇺🇸, All fowls need love.
Premium Feather Member
May 31, 2018
East, Tawas Michigan
I recently acquired two 16 week old roosters. They’re in isolation now for 30 days away from my flock. The vet gave me panacur deworming paste in a syringe which I then mixed with water and gave orally. Has anyone else used this before? They would not recommend ivermectin or any other dewormer. Also, these roosters have mites/ lice. They’re not infested but they have them. I am using diatomaceous earth to hopefully rid them of this! The vet said that the de licing powder once used is now illegal in Canada as it’s not safe. Anyone else got any info on this?
Nothing in this states Permethrin as illegal in Canada.
https://www.canada.ca/en/health-can...ation-decisions/2017/permethrin/document.html

Eggcessive

Addict
Premium Feather Member
10 Years
Apr 3, 2011
southern Ohio
Permethrin has been hard to get in Canada for years according to several posts here.

As for mites and lice, ivermectin pour on 5 mg per ml can be used to treat. Dosage is 0.1 ml per every 2 pounds of weight on the back of the neck over the spine. Repeat in 10 days.

Panacur paste 10% dosage is 0.25 or 1/4 ml per pound given orally to chickens. Repeat the same dosage is 14 days to get the worm eggs that hatch.

Thetinyfarm

Chirping
Oct 19, 2021
Alberta Canada
De as lice treatment can work but poultry dust (pyrethrine) is much more effective. Im not sure about its legality un Canada. Most people use goat wormer and dose according to weight. I don't believe that Invermectin is useful for worms.
Thank you. Sadly the poultry dust is no longer available in Alberta Canada ( my vet informs me) as it’s deemed as harmful to all.

Thetinyfarm

Chirping
Oct 19, 2021
Alberta Canada
Permethrin has been hard to get in Canada for years according to several posts here.

As for mites and lice, ivermectin pour on 5 mg per ml can be used to treat. Dosage is 0.1 ml per every 2 pounds of weight on the back of the neck over the spine. Repeat in 10 days.

Panacur paste 10% dosage is 0.25 or 1/4 ml per pound given orally to chickens. Repeat the same dosage is 14 days to get the worm eggs that hatch.
Thank you. My vet didn’t tell me to repeat. I will be having words with them I think. Good to know.

Top Bottom