De-worming

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Madrone, Sep 24, 2011.

1. Madrone

Madrone Out Of The Brooder

Sep 24, 2011
    I would love some advice. Here is my situation: I have 5 hens in my existing coop and run and just got another 7 in a separate enclosure. I discovered what looks to be a worm in the poop of one of the new 7. I've noticed no worms in the coop of 5, but don't know their worming history, either.... I figure it's a great time to worm the entire flock. Tomorrow we are assembling a big coop to house all the girls. By evening we will have the new coop up and running for them. Should I go ahead and treat them with the wormer in the a.m. and put them all together in the eve? It seems to me, if I am deworming all of them, I shouldn't have to keep them separate, am I right??

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Are they all grown hens?

Any juveniles?

3. Madrone

Sep 24, 2011
    I believe a couple are 6 months old. None that are younger.

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Worm all of them, then reworm all of them again in 10 days.

5. Madrone

Sep 24, 2011
    Should I just reworm again with the Wazine? I talked to a guy at a farm store and he said he's never heard of or seen anyone find any other worms but roundworms in our area. ( Tigard, Tualatin, etc. Oregon). Just wondering if I NEED to do the valbazen or not. Only want to if it's absolutely necessary.. thanks!!

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:Wazine only gets rid of large roundworms. You should reworm a second time in 10 days with a broad spectrum wormer such as valbazen to get rid of ALL types of worms.

7. ChickensAreSweet

Quote:I live in the Wilamette Valley too and am dealing with eyeworm right now. FYI. I don't know if that is just another kind of roundworm or not. But I do know that it is still there, even after treating with Wazine a week or so ago.

Something to consider is that a quarantine of at least four weeks is usually recommended by folks on BYC. Even then, there are certain diseases esp. respiratory ailments that can be hidden in an individual until exposed to a new chicken. The new chicken gets sick after a few weeks and then some have had to put the whole flock down.

I myself have escaped quarantining in the past with fortunate results, and have read horror stories on BYC about those who weren't so fortunate. If you have a small flock to begin with, you might feel that the extra effort involved in dealing with two flocks isn't worth it. Some have proposed putting a "sacrificial chicken" in with the new chickens to see if it gets sick.

I know you weren't inquiring about quarantine, but I thought I would mention it. Scaly leg and mites would be another thing to search your new hens for. (Also lice.) Look around the vent area and under the wings. If you become itchy after holding them, treat them even if you don't see anything. Mites can take a flock down, as can worms.

I agree with dawg53's advice. Using Valbazen would be off label. I recommend that you do a search on BYC and the web to find out more about it to see if it is best for your situation. I will be going to the feed store today to buy valbazen myself for this intractable eyeworm. I have to save my little roo's eye.

Please especially do a search on BYC for "egg withdrawal" times of ALL medications you give your flock. The wormers are usually a couple of weeks but do your research first and toss those eggs, as feeding them to the flock will give them more wormer.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2011
  8. Madrone

Sep 24, 2011
    Thanks to both of you. I'm still on the fence about using the Valbazen. It being off label for laying hens concerns me. My whole family eats their eggs and I have to feel comfortable...I wormed everyone with Wazine yesterday and am going to use DE in their feed mixed in with their new 50# bag and continue use of apple cider vinegar in their water.

9. ChickensAreSweet

Quote:You might also do a search on here for pumpkin seeds as a wormer, if you are interested.

Yes, it is a personal decision to use off label products, and only you know what is best for you! [​IMG]

10. flowerchild59

flowerchild59 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Southern IL
    Quote:Please see my posting about trying to go the natural route with worming and DE. ( https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=576036)
    Valbazen is albendazole which is used to treat humans with parasites, so I don't think the "withholding eggs" issue is such a big deal. I wouldn't sell them, but would feed them back to the hens or dogs or eat them myself. A very small amount of drug is passed through.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by