De worming

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Gloria o, Dec 8, 2014.

1. Gloria o

Gloria o New Egg

Apr 9, 2014
    I take care of my hens everyday and saw worms they are long and thin what kind are those? And what should I use I heard wazine. And is it safe to eat the eggs when they have worms.

2. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    Sounds like roundworms. Wazine isn't as effective as it used to be. The best anthelminitcs to use would be Albendazole or Fenbendazole. Valbazen suspension is dosed with a syringe fed orally without a needle or soaked on a piece of bread. http://www.qcsupply.com/540291-valbazen-suspension-500-ml.html
    [​IMG]

Most feed stores carry it. Dosage is .08 cc per pound of bird. .5 cc is fine for a 5 lb chicken. Dose once and again 10 days later to kill any newly hatched intestinal worm eggs. Give poultry vitamins-probiotics for 2-3 days after each deworming.

3. Gloria o

Gloria o New Egg

Apr 9, 2014
    Thank u are the eggs safe to eat? While they have worms?

4. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    Eggs should be safe as worms don't enter the reproductive system. Crack a few eggs and if you don't see any worms in them, take a chance, lol. It should be alright. Once you administer the Albendazole, 2 weeks is the standard withdrawal time.

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    x2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by