DE??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Haley, Aug 31, 2007.

1. Haley

Haley New Egg

Apr 13, 2007
    I was wondering where u get DE? I checked with my feed mill and they said there is no such thing as the food grade.Thanks:)

2. pricem11

pricem11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2007
    Pittsboro, NC
    Feed mill is wrong. It's a common food additive (for humans and livestock), and if the non-food grade were added to food, serious poisoning could / would occur.

Where are you located? I'm in NC, and www.customilling.com ships to me for around $40 delivered. If you're near one of their distributors, you can go pick up a 50lb bag for $21.95.

3. countrygirl4513

countrygirl4513 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Portland TN
  4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Once again, another example of a feedstore not knowing what the heck they're talking about....[​IMG]

5. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    Hoegger Goat Supply (you'll have to search for the address) has it; not a bad price. You know, our chickens are free range; most of the year they dust in the plain dirt anyway; and if I try to get them to dust in DE they look horrified and find somewhere else to dust; they just wont use it; even if I mix it with regular dust or ashes, I still have to do it when they're not looking. Does anyone know if the DE has a big advantage over the good ol' regular dirt they normally dust in?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by