De?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by birdbrain5, Feb 22, 2011.

1. birdbrain5

birdbrain5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2010
    Im trying to figure out where I can get the food grade DE locally, or if I can. I checked tractor supply and didnt see it. I think people order it online? where from? and does anyone get it somewhere local or do they not sell it at feed stores?

2. the-bird-man

the-bird-man Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2010
    land of the sun
    where do you live?

3. N&MSchroeder

N&MSchroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2011
    SE Idaho
    Thanks for asking this question-I am wondering about it myself. When do you introduce DE to the flock?

4. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Don`t waste your money. No solid proof that it works for fowl. People who swear by it seem to have never had an infestation of any kind to actually test it. Use the tried and true Sevin Dust, or Adams Tick and Flea Dip/Spray for lice/mites. Good luck..........Pop

5. silkieroo

silkieroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Durham NH
    Quote:x2! although its good for drying out the coop!

6. birdbrain5

birdbrain5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2010
    where can i get those things then? and do you have to discard the eggs after using it? is it safe for all fowl?

7. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    you dont have to get rid of your eggs. and I use it to keep my coop dry.

8. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    To OP: You might have to call around (we get ours, here in MO. from Canton Mills in MN, at feedstore $24.95 for 50lb.). Some prices by some vendors seem outrageous.

It is a relatively benign, relatively effective desiccant/insecticide (the drier the environment the more effective it is). It is useful as a preventative. If one has a serious infestation then Adams/Eprinex/etc. is necessary as is stripping and cleaning coop.

If you want to dig into the details: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=294680&p=2 (post #20) https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=295586&p=2 (posts #'s 11/20/22).

Last edited: Feb 22, 2011
  9. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Many pet stores, even TSC usually have Adams products. Any garden cener has Sevin Dust. Sevin is best for small jobs and is safe to use even on baby chicks and setting hens. You can eat the eggs while using either product. Adams dip is good for severe infestations.........Pop

10. Kaneke

Kaneke Chillin' With My Peeps

maybe belongs more in "raising baby chicks" but ---

when I sprinkled DE on the chick's bedding -- I was using fresh weedy grass as bedding
    in a standard cardboard carton == originally held paper towels === with a heavy plastic bag underneath

the brooder didn't smell "like chickens" -- in fact a guest said it smelled like cake baking

a couple of times I didn't spread it in before I added new bedding
    (was not removing the old, just adding an inch or so of new, three to four times a day)

then the brooder got a bit stinky --- (understatement)

ten baby chicks produce a LOT of poo

also, the chicks had been scratching themselves a bit -- a hilarious sight -- but not one I wanted to continue

once I started dusting the DE on the used bedding before adding fresh ... the ear-scratching stopped

my two cents worth

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by