1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. Kriston

Kriston Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2011
    Western KY
    I went to the Southern States today looking for DE and theirs didn't say "food grade" so I didn't buy it, but I did take a photo of the bag with my phone thinking someone would look at it to see if it's okay to use in the coop or not. I just realized I can't post photos on here though. So, my question is... Does the right DE specifically say "food grade" on the bag?

Thanks for any advice!

2. GreenEggers

GreenEggers Out Of The Brooder

Jul 26, 2009
    Yes it must say food grade. Search DE here for posts and you will get lots of info. The DE you want is usually labeled fossil shell four and is amorphous silica, DE from fresh water that can be used as an anti cake agent in grains. Not flux calcined DE used only for filtration . Make sure you get the correct one . Check the MSDS if you are unsure. The one I buy is Perma Guard Fossil Shell Flour.

3. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    If it says "less than 1% crystalline silica" or something very very close to that (high amorphous silica content is what you want, and very very LOW crystalline silica content), it is food grade.

If it is sold to be mixed into animal feedstuffs, e.g. Red Lake Earth, it is food grade.

If it is being sold for pest control (garden pesticide, roach control, etc) it is almost certainly NOT food-grade (there may be exceptions, but I do not believe I've personally seen any pesticide-labelled stuff that is also food-grade)

If it is being sold for pool filters, it is for sure NOT food-grade.

It is not like you GOTTA have diatomaceous earth, though. People survive perfectly well without it. If you can't find it, then Oh Well, IMO [​IMG]

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

4. Kriston

Kriston Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2011
    Western KY
    Thanks for the info. I just want to try it in my coop. I have a moisture problem around the waterer, and thought it would help that. [​IMG] I also like the idea of it for flea control in the yard. I will keep searching locally. I hate the thought of mail ordering anything that weighs 50 lbs... ouch!!! :)

5. mlward

mlward Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2010
    Tuscarora, NY
    I couldn't find any locally either. I found a 10 lb bag on amazon.com for $11 or 12. Of course, shipping is as much as the product, but I really wanted to try it so... should arrive today or tomorrow. My local farm supply can order me a 50 lb bag, but I thought I'd wait and see how fast I go thru it. [​IMG]

6. bucky52

bucky52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    I found mine on ebay,it was six pounds.it was around 18.00 and that included shipping.i put just a little in my shavings and springle alitte in the coop.it dries up the poo.I 'am a new chicken owner,and i had read about de on BYC.thought i would give it a try.I prefer to use natural products.

7. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Quote:It would probably be easier, and certainly cheaper, to just fix the waterer problem directly. Raise it up, fix it so it can't swing or be bumped, put a platform under it (so drips don't go direclty into bedding where they get sopped up), put a pan under it, etc. [​IMG]

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by