De?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by thekid, Aug 10, 2011.

1. thekid

thekid Chillin' With My Peeps

For a quail sandbox, I plan to use a old shoe box and DE. Could I use just DE as the "sand"? Thankyou - Brian

2. gamebirdboy

gamebirdboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    East Tennessee
    It works for me, but I usually mix de and dirt. Because dirt is free and de isn't.

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Using straight DE could cause respiratory problems with breathing too much of it as it is flying around. So it is best to use it along with dirt or sand. [​IMG]

4. thekid

Quote:Half dirt, half de? Or is that still too much?

5. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    I would cut that down to 75% dirt to 25% DE. DE is irritating to the lungs. I know because I breathed it in really deeply once and had a dry painful cough for weeks! [​IMG]

6. thekid

Quote:That must have sucked lol, the guy at the feed store said the guy he buys his DE off of uses it when he is sick... Yes he takes it [​IMG]

7. _Randall_

_Randall_ Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2009
    Grenada, Ms
    Quote:Allrighty there, kid..........I'm tempted to go make a pot of Folgers, and sit back and wait for this story!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] ........... but......... gotta get to bed so I can go to the industrial maintenance world tomorrow. BUT, I'll stay tuned, lil' buddy.....

Last edited: Aug 10, 2011
  8. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Quote:That must have sucked lol, the guy at the feed store said the guy he buys his DE off of uses it when he is sick... Yes he takes it [​IMG]

LOL, I am sure you can eat "food grade DE" however after I inhaled some of this stuff, I just can't imagine ingesting it in any form. [​IMG]

9. MobyQuail

MobyQuail c. giganticus

Sep 10, 2010
    Quailtropolis
    ugh, 2 crows, prolly like sanding a whole basement after the taping up the drywall by a not so skilled Uncle of mine...

Mr. Kid, we use food grade DE, sparingly (10 to 1). we place sand/dirt in a bowl, sprinkle lil DE and a couple pinches of oyster shell and the birds do what they do. replace every other day. some days we use the DE some days we don't.

someone smarter than me said something about "all things in moderation"...

can't wait to see pics of your pen, birds, eggs, and first hatched chicks, get that Droid pumping out some pics there buddy rough.

10. thekid

LOL, I am sure you can eat "food grade DE" however after I inhaled some of this stuff, I just can't imagine ingesting it in any form. [​IMG]

Not food grade, the stuff you buy 50 lbs of from Mister Feed... Not food grade LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by