De

It may be true that it doesn't work as well when wet, but I don't think NewChickenmommy intends to keep the yard/coop wet. So...sprayed wet and eventually dries and becomes effective, yes? I do agree though, that it would be more of a waste if you are thinking yard-wide insect control. There are more effective products than DE for that. Great in the coop/run though.

People claim it works as a wormer (I wouldn't depend on it myself). But how could that be true if it doesn't work when wet? (Which it does tell you right on the bag). Last I checked it was pretty wet in the gut of a chicken.

NewChcikenmommy! :

I am wondering will it hurt the DE if I mix it with water and spray my yard/coop with it? I tried dusting it and ended up wearing more than I think got on the ground LOL

Addtionally as to what the others have said, you dont want to wet the inside of your coop, especially around here. Wetness promotes mold, fungus, all types of parasites etc...detrimental to your chickens. You want to try and keep everything bone dry.​

Quote:
That's what I was thinking..not wanting to saturate everything just looking for an easier way to spread this. I allow my hens to roam my yard and that means lots of chicken poop everywhere. I do keep on top of the dog waste as I have opened a dog grooming shop in my home and have several dogs daily that use the yard as well. I don't want to use chemicals to keep the pests away but the flies have taken over! Getting in the house and what not. If I sprayed it like with one of those pump sprayers and let it dry would it still work?

Quote:
Addtionally as to what the others have said, you dont want to wet the inside of your coop, especially around here. Wetness promotes mold, fungus, all types of parasites etc...detrimental to your chickens. You want to try and keep everything bone dry.

Oh yea I know. I am still battling whatever is attacking my one chicken's foot. I am tempted to separate the bird entirely and keep it in my patio as more of a pet than with the rest of the flock. Poor thing is always in such pain. Non of my other hens have whatever this is and I can't get rid of the redness
soaked her feet every other day and wrapped them every day for a week. it went away so I took the wraps off and it came back..I just don't know what to do anymore

If I sprayed it like with one of those pump sprayers and let it dry would it still work?

It won't dissolve in water, and you won't be able to spray enough to make a difference.

Flies won't be a big problem as soon as it gets a little colder​

Back
Top Bottom