Dead 10 week old chickens in the coop

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by lorrir, Jun 23, 2010.

1. lorrir

lorrir Songster

Jun 19, 2009
    Upstate SC
    I have 3 generations of chickens in my coop. 8, 2 year old girls and one 2 year old roo. 17, 10 week chickens and 20, 7 week old chickens.

The 10 week old chickens keep dying I've lost about 9 so far in the past couple weeks. I find them in the nesting boxes, on the coop floor and on the dirt run floor. MY DH killed a big black snake last week. It was in the run and had a 10 week old chicken in its mouth.

The DH thinks it's the heat but I'm not so sure. I have a tarp over a portion of the run, the coop is well ventilated and I have three waterers and a baby pool I fill daily. I wondering if my girls are snake bate? But why is it just the 10 week chicks and not the smaller ones?

It's been in the high nineties and very humid.

What do you think?

2. darkmatter

darkmatter Songster

Jul 10, 2009
    I think the heat

3. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Are they separated or together in the coop? 7 week old and 10 week old chicks should not be together with full grown chickens. The adults will kill the youngsters. Chicks should always be away from adults until at least 4 - 5 months of age (prefer 25 wks of age). Many diseases and illnesses can be avoided this way, as well.

4. Frannabelle

Frannabelle Songster

Jun 1, 2009
    MI
    My 2 months old, 4 months old and 11 month olds are all in the same coop together, minor pecking, no one is trying to kill anyone

5. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    There is something called cocciodosis, which is a killer of chicks....have you noticed any blood in their poos? Adults are usually immune to this, but chicks are not....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by