Dead 11 Week Old Meatie: Pics Added VERY GRAPHIC

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Wolfwoman, Jul 9, 2010.

1. Wolfwoman

Wolfwoman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Chickaloon, Alaska
    One of my grown Meat birds was found dead this morning, laying on her back. There doesn't seem to be any outside trauma, and I won't be able to cut her up until later on today to check inside. They were all fine yesterday as I put them to bed around 10PM. I also had started butchering yesterday, so there was one less bird in the coop. [​IMG]

My biggest question is, do you think I can still eat her, or should I feed her to the dogs?

OK I finally got around to skinning and butchering and this is what I found...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 9, 2010
  2. jodief100

jodief100 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2010
    N Kentucky/Cincinnati
    I never eat an animal unless I killed it. Too much risk. If the skin is dark purple, then it was probebly a heart attack which would be fine but I personally would not eat it. I wouldn't feed it to the dogs either but my dogs are my "children".

3. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    Definetly don't eat it. You just never know.

4. Wolfwoman

May 5, 2010
    Chickaloon, Alaska
    Well my dogs are my kids too, but they sure can eat a lot more things than I can!! I have sled dogs and they get moose, bear, and whatever else is left from road kills and such. One dead chicken, no matter the cause sure isn't going to upset them! Especially as it's split between NINE...LOL

Purplish eh? I tossed it in the fridge, so I'll have to take a look at it later.

5. honeydoll

honeydoll Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    Stark County, NE Ohio
    I was raised to never eat anything that died like that. But my Mother-in-laws family wasted nothing, I mean nothing unless it was truly rotten. They are the healthiest longest living people I know. Her dad ate like this and lived 20years with bone cancer, he died at 93. When I say they wasted nothing, I mean it. They ate things that made me squeamish. He soaked everything not perfect in salt water overnight. Said it made meat fine and removed any slight taintedness.

6. eKo_birdies

eKo_birdies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    Quote:i think it was probably the proper cooking that ensued AFTER the brine that really killed off any potentially harmful bacteria, rather than the brine itself (unless there is a TON of salt in there).
    either way...i would said your MIL's family's longevity speaks for itself... it worked for them!

7. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    It sounds like CHF, and would be fine to cook and feed to your dogs.

8. Wolfwoman

May 5, 2010
    Chickaloon, Alaska
    Here's pics... I haven't a chance to butcher yet...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by