Dead 4 day old, light brown foamy poo in brooder

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by rizq, Nov 13, 2008.

1. rizq

rizq Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Tennessee
    A about 15 minutes ago I woke up to VERY loud cheeping (loud enough to wake me through my earplugs I sleep with) and saw one of the chicks flailing in the brooder. I thought it was our gimpy chick, but realized quickly that he was on the other side of the box and this was a previously normal chick. I picked him up and he was so weak he couldn't hold up his head. Less than 5 minutes later, he was dead. Upon inspection I noticed some light brown, foamy, liquidy poos in the brooder, there was no blood.

When I went to bed everything was normal, all 8 were fine. They are eating chick starter (no idea if medicated) and drinking water with a small amount of sugar that is refreshed daily. They have a red bulb on one side of the box and can retreat to the other side if it is too warm. They are usually very active and all over the box. They sleep on the bulb side, but don't huddle directly under the bulb.

Should I worry about the other chicks? Am I doing something wrong or is it just one of those things? I have Corid and Ivomec Eprinex on hand if either would be helpful.

2. rizq

Oct 9, 2008
    Tennessee
    Just an update ... after I posted I went to clean and disinfect the brooder just in case and when I cleaned the waterer, the water was very cloudy and smelled kinda fermented. The water was not more than 18 hours old, but I guess in that warmth it was too old. I feel awful. I think I killed my chick with nasty water [​IMG] [​IMG] I hope the others will be okay. No more sugar in the water! [​IMG] Stupid.

3. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    I doubt you killed the chick with the water. I have never heard of water going rancid. Somebody probably pooped in it to make it stink, or stuck their little pooped covered feet in it. Chicks have a high mortality rate. In the best of situations we all occasionally loose one for no apparant reason. Don't beat yourself up over it. Keep an eye on the others. If they all continue to due well, I wouldn't worry about them.

4. rizq

Oct 9, 2008
    Tennessee
    Quote:Even sugar water? Not that it had that much sugar, maybe half a tsp in a pint jar, but I figured that bacteria bloomed because of the sugar in the water and made it cloudy and smelly (almost more of a fermented smell than a dirty, chicken poo smell).

The other chicks seem fine. Maybe a little sleepy, but someone is always sleepy. Next time I look they are running around like crazy and someone else is sleepy. I saw one more soft, foamy poo right after I put them back in the clean brooder ... since then everything in that department has appeared totally normal. They are eating and drinking like the little feathered piggies that they are. They take after their parents [​IMG] I am a feathered pig farmer [​IMG]

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Sugar water will cause diarrhea, so that needs to be just plain water. I never put sugar in my water.

6. rizq

Oct 9, 2008
    Tennessee
    I was told sugar water would give them extra energy and help them out their first week ... bad info I guess [​IMG] I should learn not to listen to the locals, they also told me that bleach in the adults water would worm them [​IMG] never believed that one. Don't know why I bought the sugar water. Guess it made more sense to use sugar for energy than bleach for worming.

I switched it out right after the one died. They just have plain, fresh water now. I'll not use sugar again. Not sure if that was the problem or not, but it could have been and I won't repeat it.

Thanks for the replies [​IMG]

7. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Awe...I'm so sorry you lost a little one. That's always heartbreaking. If you feel like you want to make sure they are getting everything they need, you could get some Avia Charge 2000 for their water. It's sea kelp-based, and has all sort of vitamins/minerals that are excellent for poultry. I use that about every 3rd watering jug, and I start the babies off with it upon hatch, just to be sure they're getting what they need. Hope the rest all do well for you - enjoy them! [​IMG]

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Sugar water is fine for about one day with shipped chicks, but long periods of it will give them diarrhea and dehydrate them. Yeah, locals and feedstore personnel are two types not to listen to, LOL. Sorry you lost the little one.

Another thing. Do you know for sure that one was eating and drinking? Starve-out happens about this time if they fail to thrive and eat and drink on their own. Maybe that's it.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2008
  9. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Yes, dont give them sugar water, unless they were shipped, then only for a day. I give my bantams that I hatch vitamins in the water for the first week or two.

Also, make sure to give the chicks clean water every day, or at least everyother day, as chicks tend to poop in the water. And disinfect the waterer once a week with a bleach solution.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2008
  10. Poohbear

Poohbear On a Time Out

Nov 12, 2008
    Texas
    Forget the sugar water altogether. They don't need it. Just keep the water clean and fresh. Your chick may have contracted coccidiosis. Stomach virus that kills chicks. Many meds for that. I still use Ren-O-Sal tablets the first few weeks to stop cocci. The secret is the word CLEAN-. Everything must be sanitized and sterilized. Try crumbling some boiled egg whites up for your chicks as a treat. Tap your finger on it and purr at them and they will start pecking at it. After that the will smother your hand to get it. Very small amounts of boiled egg-white once or twice a week. The egg-white helps them to have good bowel movements to expell the MEDICATED chick starter.MEDICATED chick starter is a MUST because it contains meds for coccidosis BUT not enough to keep them from getting it. You must use a supplement when they are babies. LS-200 is a good supplement.
    By the way, one teaspoon of bleach in a gallon of water for GROWN fowl will HELP keep them worm free but you must worm with Wazine or Worm pills regularly TOO! jmo

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by