Dead 6 week old broiler chick with prolapse

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by teep, Oct 13, 2013.

1. teep

teep Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2013
    Western Slope, Colorado
    A friend and myself are currently on the downhill slide of raising 100 LaBelle Rouge meat birds. They were 6 weeks old two days ago. Everyone has been VERY healthy and happy with 2 deaths, one at day 3 and one at day 4. We just gave them access to an outdoor run today and they are thrilled and seem very active and happy. After about 3 hours of being able to come and go, my friend found one of the birds dead and FLAT. She said flat like an anvil fell on it. And its intestines were coming out its rear. She thinks its some kind of illness. I think the one of her grandchildren fell on the bird while they were 'helping'. I have never heard of an illness that the bird dies with its intestines coming out??! Do we need to start treating for something or does this sound like a child-induced accident? Thank you!!

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Whether 'child caused' or not, it sounds as if something fell on and crushed that chicken.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by