dead Ameracauna pullet

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by chicknmania, Dec 7, 2013.

1. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    I am concerned I might have made a mistake here I bought three Lavender Ameracauna pullets at the poultry show in November. One showed signs of illness after we brought them home, but we put her on antibiotics and she recovered nicely. They have been fine since. Still in quarantine, I was going to let them out this week, but was not in a big hurry, due to the cold. They are in an enclosed pen where the temperature stays above freezing. I am not sure, but I'm estimating their age at about three or four months. Yesterday, I gave them some Omega layer, as I was out of Flock Raiser. Today, I found one dead. She is not the one that we were treating earlier.

I am not sure if it's because of the layer, the weather, or what??? Any thoughts are appreciated. I'm getting the impression that they are not a very hardy breed, we have not had them before. Also, they had some bread crumbs yesterday, but I would hardly think that would make a difference, she seemed fine last night at dinner. She had a little brown diarhea on her, that's all. I have noticed that here and there in the barn too, but it has not been much, so I haven't worried about it.

I am sad, she was my favorite, of the three. [​IMG]

2. BorneHomestead

BorneHomestead Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2013
    you should not feed layer pellets to any chickens until they are at least 18 weeks of age or older as it has more calcium in it and less protein. I would not think that that would kill them immediately so it sounds like something else is going on. what do their combs look like? big, red? pictures would be helpful. when you found her did she show any signs of being bitten or attacked? or did she looks fine just dead?

3. chicknmania

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    Their combs are small and they look normal, including hers. She died with one foot in front, one in back, like she'd had a seizure.
    No, no signs of being picked on. The weather here has been roller coaster, snow & cold over Thanksgiving, and most of November, and
    then mild last week, and then snow and cold again yesterday, and then very cold overnight. But I gave them extra bedding in their pen last night so they should have been plenty warm. They have been anxious to come out of the pen, but we have been trying to let the new chickens out a few at a time, to reduce the stress for the flock, because we bought several birds.

I just can't figure it out. They have been on Flock Raiser and a little grain, I just gave them the layer yesterday. And they've been eating fine, and acting normal, very perky and bright. wth!!!

4. Ramblin Rooster

Ramblin Rooster Hatchaholic

Apr 14, 2012
    Fairfield, Connecticut
    Sorry for your luck. Chickens from shows can be a gamble, because you don't know what kinds of diseases they can pick up there.

5. chicknmania

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    And they've also had a few grains of Poultry Conditioner in the feed every day. All the new birds have that.

6. chicknmania

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    [​IMG] Thanks.

. Usually from the Ohio National though we have been very lucky in getting healthy birds. That's why we usually go there.
    I hope it was stress, or cold, and not some disease.

7. Ramblin Rooster

Apr 14, 2012
    Fairfield, Connecticut
    I've heard the Ohio National has pretty healthy birds too. Could be bad luck or this particular breeder. Could some poop or something from another chicken have gotten on the cage they were brought home in or something?

8. chicknmania

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    No, I don't think so. They were in our pens from day 1 of coming home. And like I said, they were acting fine.
    Maybe cold or stress, or maybe she had parasites. Sometimes chickens die from sudden death and no one is sure why.

9. Ramblin Rooster

Apr 14, 2012
    Fairfield, Connecticut
    Yes that's right. You could have been doing nothing wrong, and it just happened to die. It's possible it was stress, but I doubt it. Could have choked, or gotten egg bound and died, or anything. Unless you get a cat scan at the vet or something you can't really know for sure. That's too bad though[​IMG].

10. chicknmania

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    Thanks. [​IMG] Just hate when that happens, you know. Chickens...get attached to them WAY too quickly. [​IMG] Wish I could learn how not to.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by