1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Dead and dying chicks from a "hatchery"

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by smfritch, Feb 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smfritch

smfritch Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2008
    Weaverville, CA
    We ordered 25 chicks from a popular place (not the same place Natalie used). I called last Monday to find out when they would ship and they told us it would be the 17th. On the 19th they still had not arrived so we called again. They explained that there was a late hatch and they didn't actually ship out until the 18th and we should receive them on the 20th. Last night we got a call from a very upset postal employee in a town an hour from here. She stated that there were five dead in the box and the rest were dying. She asked if she could give them some water at least so we talked her through dipping their beaks. This morning our post office called and they were all very upset. They told us that the box was silent and things didn't look good. They also told us that they had actually been dropped at the postal center during the holiday weekend (long before the 18th). We got them home and ten were
    dead. The rest were cold, dehydrated and starving. We dipped their
    beaks in warm water and GroGel all day long. Tonight is one left. We called the company and they stated that they are not a hatchery. They drop ship the birds from other hatcheries and they had received several phone calls like ours today. They offered to send more birds but I didn't want to be responsible for any more deaths. I realize that this does not normally happen. I am very upset, not to mention horrified by this entire experience! [​IMG]

2. Chickenfortress

Chickenfortress Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    we'd al like to know who it was you were dealing with. How else will we avoid the same thing happening again?

3. Poohbear

Poohbear On a Time Out

Nov 12, 2008
    Texas
    Chickens, either chicks or grown, should be shipped ONLY by EXPRESS MAIL and ONLY during the first two days of the week. I put a whole peeled apple in with the grown ones I ship just in case they have a problem, the apple will give them food and wet nourishment. Post office has been GREAT at getting them there quickly with EXPRESS MAIL. I've never recieved or sent chicks but I would DEMAND they be sent on either a Monday or Tuesday if I did order any.

4. smfritch

Sep 3, 2008
    Weaverville, CA
    I just found out that they are not really a hatchery. Their chicks are drop shipped from other un-named hatcheries. I was going to post a photo of the mound of dead chicks that were in the box, but i felt it was too graphic. My wife is really shaken up about this. [​IMG]

5. CityClucks

CityClucks The Center of a 50 Mile Radius

Jan 31, 2009
    Tulsa, OK
    Please tell us where you ordered from - I don't want to order from the same place someday!

6. mistylady

mistylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Ohio near Coshocton
    If you paid with a credit card call your card company ASAP and tell them what happened. This place should not be paid for abusing chicks.

Meyer and Stromburg are the ones I have ordered from and the chicks were all healthy and happy from both. Can you order some more chicks from a good place and surprise your lady with them?

7. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Yes please do tell. I just ordered chicks for the very first time and now I am really concerned about their welfare!!!

Also, I am sorry for your loss, we had a chick die the other day while hatching and it was a horrible experience.

8. smfritch

Sep 3, 2008
    Weaverville, CA
    Their initials are RB. They are going to credit back the charge to me VISA. I told them that I would not be ordering any more birds from them, From what they told me, many others had called them the same day with the same issue. I feel that they knew there was an issue with the chicks already when they tried to tell me that there had been a late hatch after they had already told me that the birds had shipped. I really hate being lied to. If you make a mistake, own up to it.

9. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Yes owning up to it would have been better. I am glad they credited you back but did they say anyting about the chicks? Were they concerned?
    I am, however, relieved it is not the place I ordered from. Sorry again for your loss.

10. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

I know there is a lot of talk about dead chicks. I am sorry for this but, you are having them shipped when the weather can change really fast. What do you expect?
    Why was the box of chicks left for the PO to care for? Why did you not pick them up ASAP?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by