dead at 18 days

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Langshan Man, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Langshan Man

Langshan Man Out Of The Brooder

Jan 25, 2009
    NE Oklahoma
    over 75 percent are dead around the time they go to the hatcher , different breeds at the same time good temp, good humidity and ideas

2. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    what type of incubator/hatcher?
    what was your temp at before you put them into hatcher?
    what was your humidity for the first 18 days?
    what was your humidity for lockdown (in the hatcher)?
    whats the temp in the hatcher and were is the thermo. located at?

3. williamsl77

williamsl77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2011
    Northeast
    How do you know they're dead on day 18? Did they stop developing early on or are you just not seeing movement? If you're not seeing movement, that could be normal and doesn't mean they are dead at all.

I had a close call this morning. I'm on day 23 and I figured what hadn't hatched by today wasn't going to. Lo and behold when I get to the incubator TWO more eggs were just hatching. That probably is the last of this bunch, but the thought crossed my mind last night to toss the unhatched eggs. Thought I would wait til morning just in case. Got lucky on that one!

4. Langshan Man

Jan 25, 2009
    NE Oklahoma
    GQF Incubator and hatcher , 99.5 degrees both humidity 40 percent in hatcher , after the 25 day took them out and broke open it just looks like l\they stopped around the 18th or 19th day plenty of egg white no yoke

5. crankster76

crankster76 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 25, 2011
    Kingston,Tn.
    humidity way to low for the hatcher. should be around 75%. could be from turning or about anything as for that matter.

6. pawtraitart

pawtraitart Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2007
    Idaho
    I'm really not sure what to say about humidity anymore. My first chicks always hatch out the "cleanest" when the humidity is lowest. I usually start lockdown at around 50%. I've had chicks hatch in my incubator turner when I left them in there by mistake for a staggered hatch......humidity 30%. Chick just sitting there as happy as can be. Go figure.

7. hdowden

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    do you hand turn them or atuo turnner?

hatcher humidity is way to low, i put mine around 60-65%. if they had no yolk then they assorbed the yolk for hatching.

was the inner memberain were its supposed to be or did it look like it shrink wrapped the chick.

8. Langshan Man

Jan 25, 2009
    NE Oklahoma
    auto turn

9. hdowden

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    for the first 18 days whats your humidity? i'm thinking that it's your humidity in the hatcher being to low as they absorb the yolk right before hatching and if there wasnt any then they had fully absorb it and should have hatched

10. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I agree with the humidity. Mine is about 30% for 18 days and 60%+ for lockdown. I think you need the humidity low in the beginning because you want to lose some water in the egg to make room. Then at 18 days you want it high to keep the chick moist . That's the way I see it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by