Dead Australorp :(

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by PouleChick, Aug 20, 2018.

1. PouleChick

PouleChick Crowing

Apr 6, 2016
    SW France
    My only Australorp pullet (3 months old) was found dead yesterday :hit- I dont' know what happened or what got her and hoping you may have some ideas.

I looked over her carefully and the only sign of violence I could see were some ruffled / missing feathers on the back of her neck. After we looked around her we found a few feathers in a single clump about 3m / 12f away from her, she was further down the garden by the fenceline.

My initial thoughts are unlikely to be dog / fox as no bite marks? Was it one of the young cockerals mounting her and she got scared and had a heart attack? Mink?

What do you guys think?

Chick-N-Fun and BlueBaby like this.
  2. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Crossing the Road

Mar 21, 2016
    Maricopa, AZ. (near Phoenix)
    Sorry that you lost her. Did you manage to take a picture that we could see and try to help you to figure it out?

KikiLeigh02 likes this.
  3. PouleChick

PouleChick Crowing

Apr 6, 2016
    SW France
    No stupidly I just put her in the bin after examining her - there was nothing to see though - no marks or anything, just the disturbed feathers on the back of her neck. I can go get pics of the feathers as I guess they are still there.

Chick-N-Fun and KikiLeigh02 like this.
  4. Nats Chickens

Nats Chickens Crowing

Jun 20, 2018
    NSW, Australia
    My Coop
    :hugs

KikiLeigh02 likes this.
  5. BlueBaby

Mar 21, 2016
    How many cockerels had access to her? One time before I had 2 Blue Australorp boys that would both gang up on a Splash Australorp hen at the same time. One would help to hold her while the other one mounted, and then they would switch places on her. I caught them doing that and then caged the cockerels so they couldn't get to her anymore.

6. Nats Chickens

Nats Chickens Crowing

Jun 20, 2018
    NSW, Australia
    My Coop
    Eugh! :eek::th:sick

7. PouleChick

PouleChick Crowing

Apr 6, 2016
    SW France
    2 but they are both young'ish (nearly 4 months) - I have seen them trying to mount the older hens but are both very gentle from what I have seen and not seen them trying it with the pullets yet. 1 of them is an Araucana and the other a Orpington / cochin (???) mix. Actually no in her group there is another cockerel as well (so 3 months) and he is a blue orp. I've not seen him trying it on with any of them yet.

Chick-N-Fun and Nats Chickens like this.
  8. PouleChick

PouleChick Crowing

Apr 6, 2016
    SW France
    Just read the very good article on here about mink and I don't think it is that so all I can think is that it must have been a heart attack or a bad peck on the back of the head?

KikiLeigh02 and BlueBaby like this.
  9. BlueBaby

Mar 21, 2016
    Maybe.

PouleChick and KikiLeigh02 like this.
  10. Chick-N-Fun

Chick-N-Fun Feather & Fur Whisperer

Jun 26, 2014
    Upstate NY
    I’m so sorry for your loss! Bear hugs!!!:hugs