Dead Banty. Abd cavity eaten. What did it?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by DaniLovesChickens, Sep 28, 2010.

1. DaniLovesChickens

DaniLovesChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Michigan
    i went out to get eggs this morning and found my little Ali dead in the hen house. She was in the area where she sleeps at.

She was laying on her side. Her one wing is gone (I think) and something(s) ate into her abdominal cavity and ate everything there.

I know that chickens will peck other dead chickens (have unfortunately seen this) but i have never seen anything like this. Could they have done this to her?

Did another animal get in there and do it? I know that there are mice that get in there and possibly voles. I'm not sure about other animals.

Please help!

I didn't look too closely at her body. I will have my husband do it when he gets home.

Thank you!

2. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

You are certainly correct that chickens could have eaten her to death, but possums are known to eat the abdominal area first. Check the security of your pen. After a big meal, most predators will lay out for a day or two and sleep it off, but they always return, if nothing prevents it. Set your trap. You do have a trap, don`t you? EVERYONE that keeps chickens MUST have a trap AND a gun. Bait the trap with the hens carcuss and put the trap close to the pen, like right next to it. Shoot the predator in the trap and don`t even think of relocating it, as it`s illegal most everywhere and it`s just dumping your problems on somebody else. Good luck..........Pop

3. geebs

geebs Lovin' the Lowriders!

Sep 28, 2008
    Good luck... [​IMG]

4. DaniLovesChickens

DaniLovesChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Michigan
    My husband said that only her organs were eaten. None of the meat. Her legs are still intact too.

There are no obvious signs of something killing her. She had her head tucked in like she was sleeping. I wonder if she didn't just maybe die in her sleep and that what happened to her body happened after!

It rained kinda hard this morning so even if there had been tracks, they're gone now.

5. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Had that happened twice, it is a possum or a feral cat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by