Dead bird

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by KidsandGuineas, May 24, 2016.

1. KidsandGuineas

KidsandGuineas Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2016
    Grand Rapids MN
    my keet died today! I don't know what happened he/she was fine yesterday and the other keets, including the runt of the bunch, seem fine. what do you think happened????!!!!

2. pattyhen

pattyhen Chicks Ducks oh my

Apr 20, 2007
    I'm sorry for your loss. Are the keets outside or inside did it show any symptons of being sick? Did it have any injuries from a predator?

3. KidsandGuineas

May 11, 2016
    Grand Rapids MN
    the keets are inside. it seemed fine in the evening when I closed their window for the night then in the morning when I opened it he/she was dead. there was no blood or any feathers lying around

4. KidsandGuineas

May 11, 2016
    Grand Rapids MN
    the smallest/youngest keet died this morning[​IMG][​IMG] again no signs of a predator, but I did notice that they have been less active since we moved them into the shed.(they used to be in a horse water trough in our patio) Could they be stressed by the move?
    I have let them outside in a "run" but made sure the grass was dry, and they stayed out for less than 5min and then went back inside. I have opened the door other times but they don't want to go outside!! Is this normal?
    Another thing I've noticed is that at night they huddle under the heat lamp and fluff out their feathers, even though it only gets down to 60.

HELP1

5. R2elk

R2elk Overrun With Chickens

Feb 24, 2013
    Natrona County, Wyoming
    I don't know how old your keets are but as new hatch they need around 95°F measured at the bedding level. You can decrease the temperature by 5°F each week meaning that it would take 7 weeks to get them to the point that they can handle 60°F. It wouldn't surprise me for them to be inactive if they are feeling chilled.

Good luck.

6. KidsandGuineas

May 11, 2016
    Grand Rapids MN
    my guineas were/are at least 4weeks old (not sure how old they were when we bought them) but they were doing fine(running, fighting over wood shavings[​IMG],ect.) in 70 degrees and then suddenly they started huddling. they did/do have allot of feathers at this poin.

7. R2elk

R2elk Overrun With Chickens

Feb 24, 2013
    Natrona County, Wyoming
    If they were on wood shavings and did not have grit available they could have blockage since they will eat the shavings but cannot digest them without grit.

8. KidsandGuineas

May 11, 2016
    Grand Rapids MN
    it is very coarse shavings, i was told that they only eat it if it is fine shavings. is that wrong?

9. MeepBeep

MeepBeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Are they on a medicated feed? If not coccidiosis might be the cause...

10. KidsandGuineas

May 11, 2016
    Grand Rapids MN
    my last guinea died this afternoon.

but i got new ones and don't want this to repeat so please keep trying to figure this out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by