dead birds

I have 6 chickens and 2 ducks and almost every day I find one to 2 small dead birds is this normal for my flock to kill other wild birds?

Welcome to BYC.
There are few things that could be happening here - your flock *could* be killing them, they could be injuring themselves and then succumbing or they may be dying of illness (the last one being more of a concern than anything given the current bird flu epidemic). Are your birds in an open, free range area or are you finding these dead birds within an enclosed pen and/or coop? If the latter, you need to revisit your security measures as keeping those wild birds out is important for bio-security reasons.

They are free range and these are the little tiny brown birds I found one of them with no feathers and no head and the other one I found in my ducks pool again with no head. I try and keep other birds away by shooting bb gun but I am not home all of the time. Should I get one of those Manakin birds like that howls or like a fake Eagle to post up outside to keep the local birds away from my my ducks and chickens

They are free range and these are the little tiny brown birds I found one of them with no feathers and no head and the other one I found in my ducks pool again with no head. I try and keep other birds away by shooting bb gun but I am not home all of the time. Should I get one of those Manakin birds like that howls or like a fake Eagle to post up outside to keep the local birds away from my my ducks and chickens
I would take pic of the dead birds and contact your local DNR.......
......sounds like they could be victims of predation, but better safe than sorry.

Fake owls and eagles will probably not deter the smaller birds....but keeping your chicken feed in the coop should help if that's what is drawing them to your yard.

Back
Top Bottom