Dead Buff Orpington

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lilredhenmom, Aug 2, 2010.

1. lilredhenmom

lilredhenmom Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2009
    Went out to feed the girls tonight and my BO was on the ground...looking like she was sleeping. Went in picked her up and she was limp as a dish rag. Carries her out of the run and laid her on the grass. She had a seizure and died. As I went to bury her I noticed her vent area was swollen and red. Looked just like an egg. Was she egg bound? She was perfectly fine this AM...eating, drinking and squawking like normal..man, that happened fast!

2. Mrs. BJ Hensley Jr.

Mrs. BJ Hensley Jr. Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2010
    Ozarks
    Crazy but did u get pics?

3. Bedste

Bedste Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Cut n Shoot Texas
    OMG I am so sorry for your loss.... sorry I do not know anything about this situation. Hopefully an expert will answer you.

4. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Really sorry about your hen.

5. CathyRN

CathyRN Out Of The Brooder

Jan 17, 2010
    Sevier County, TN
    post some pics of the vent....maybe she was eggbound...so sorry this happened to you [​IMG]

6. lilredhenmom

lilredhenmom Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2009
    Didn't think to get pics...my son buried her. That would have been more helpful...duh!
    Wasn't really thinking ahead....it was egg sized....red and puffy....and pretty hard....but not hard like an egg shell.

Thanks for all your help.[​IMG] [​IMG]

7. chica57

chica57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2009
    So Sorry-the same thing hapeened to one of my buffs 3 months ago-fine in the morning-3 hours later-gone-was told she was eggbound-I had no clue-really devestating- [​IMG]

8. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Be careful with the Buffs, not that the heat helped to make her expire but I think they are particularly suceptible to overheating. I always hate losing a goldie girl.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by