Dead by compost bin.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Free Feather, Nov 13, 2014.

1. Free Feather

Free Feather Chillin' With My Peeps

My 5 month old Game Bantam x Silkie pullet, Persephone, had been missing when I did a head count of the upstairs coop before bed. There were ten, when there was supposed to be eleven. All the eggs from the upstairs and downstairs coops were missing for the day, so I figured I had another broody. I took a flashlight and looked all around the property, under all the junk and in all the barns. She was no where I could see. I figured I would look for her in the morning. It was 6 pm.
    The next day I looked everywhere I expected a broody to hang out. I looked in all the pastures and under every leaf. I was starting to get really worried. Later that day, I decided to put the blue and buff splash Silkie chicks outside to play around a bit before we would get snow. As I set the tractor up at the tree line in the shade, I glanced over for some reason at the compost bin. "Persephone!" I yelled in excitement, for there she was, curled up with her back facing me beside one of the compost bins. I ran over to pick her up, and noticed something was wrong. Her eyes were closed.
    I turned her over, and lo and behold, she was rigamortis-stiff and ice cold. I jumped back in horror. She was just sitting there like she was at a picnic, leaning against the bin in a natural position. The only red flag was a small bead of blood at the corner of her beak. As ill as it made me, I plucked her neck feathers to look for a bite or something. There were no bites, no bruises. It was maybe 100 feet from a road, but would there not be bruises? I do not think it was my puppy either, because she the wrung the two chicks' necks and left bites when she killed. Could it have been a predator? I found no wounds at all.
    My partridge bantam Cochin, Isolde, was sneezing a few days age, but she only did that wet day, and I never saw Persephone do it at all. What is up with the blood? I have no pictures because she was fed to my mother's German shepherd against better judgement.
    Has anyone had a similar situation? I am getting medicine for their water from the vet, not sure what it is. Help?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It's always very hard to diagnose a death after it has happened without doing a necropsy. The bead of blood may have been a red herring, but I don't really know. If she was allowed in the compost area, it could be possible that she may have suffered from botulism. That would be tragic if your mother's dog got botulism from eating a chicken. Bloody mucus can be coughed up through the beak from infectious laryngotracheitis, but she would have certainly shown signs of respiratory distress, gasping, and coughing beforehand. The blood could have also been from a peck after she collapsed. If you lose another, I would get a necropsy done by your state vet or dept. of agriculture. Sorry for your loss. Here are some links to read:
    http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/19/botulism
    http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/83/infectious-laryngotracheitis-ilt
    http://www.usaha.org/Portals/6/StateAnimalHealthOfficials.pdf (link for state vets)

Last edited: Nov 13, 2014
  3. Free Feather

Thank you, I will try to get the next one if we have another. I hope she was the last though.

4. Free Feather

Does anyone know how much it costs to send a bird into a university?

5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Call and ask:

-Kathy

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Yes call the links for Pa. and ask. Every state is different, and while some of free, some are low in cost, while some can be pricey. It may be less expensive to place the body in a cooler, and drive to the center. Shipping could be a lot more expensive.

7. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    If one decides to ship, they should ask to use the lab's FedEx account #, that will save a bunch. Last large one I sent was only $20 to overnight a 10 pound box.

-Kathy

8. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
  9. Free Feather

Thank you, the information on the necropsy is very welcome. If another dies, I will try to get my mother to do it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by