Dead chick 2 more sick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by wewcz5, Feb 7, 2014.

1. wewcz5

wewcz5 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2013
    Shasta county, Ca
    I had a malpositioned baby that I had to assist with it's hatch. The baby came out fine. About 12-14 hrs later I noticed labored breathing, it was lethargic and its head kept dropping. By hr 17 the chick was dead. There were 2 other chicks that had been in the incubator with it and after time I started noticing their head dropping like the other one. I had 4 heathy chick already dry and in the brooder who are still doing okay. I removed a rotten egg from the bator 2 days prior, after these three chicks hatched I noticed a dark green substance on one of the paper towels. I thought it could be mold or bacteria but thought it could also be the afterbirth stuff so I took the 3 chicks out (the one haden't died yet) and put them in the brooder with the other chicks, I took the eggs out and put them in an egg carton with a warm wet paper towel over them and put them in the brooder too and I scrubbed the incubator down. The three babies and the eggs got put back in the incubator and it wasn't long after that the chick died. It's been about 18 hrs and I'm scared to put the other babies back in the brooder. One is pretty lethargic and its head keeps dropping and the other seems to be okay but occasionally has its head dropping too. Is this normal? What could be happening? Sould I keep them separated? Oh yeah, the baby that died had fluid in its mouth before it died.

2. cubalaya

cubalaya Overrun With Chickens

Nov 19, 2008
    central virginia
    i would leave them in the brooder with the others. chicks get tired easily and bob their heads and lay down and sleep. if they don't act like the others in a day or 2 then cull them.

3. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

What is the temperature in the brooder? It sounds like they are too hot.

4. wewcz5

wewcz5 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2013
    Shasta county, Ca
    The temp is 99.5. It was hard to monitor the temp because they kept mocking the thermometer off the other eggs. My husband just made a coolerbator so I don't have to use the styrofoam bator any more. I took them out of the bator and put them in a separate brooder and they are doing great! It may have been the temp. :-(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by