Dead chick @ 2 wks, extended abdomen with lump ("necropsy")... what happened? WARNING: DEAD CHICK PI

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickenmama22, Dec 12, 2012.

1. chickenmama22

chickenmama22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2007
    I hate writing this kind of post, but I am curious about what happened to my chick that hatched 2 weeks ago. This evening I discovered that her abdomen (about where the egg yolk is on a newly hatched chick) was distended and hard. It felt like there was some kind of tumor in there.

I hatched out 2 chicks from a batch of 10 shipped (eBay) eggs. One of them was a bit taller, more upright. I thought maybe he's a cockerel and just stands taller. Tonight I was examining them and discovered the distended abdomen and lump. I came to byc to search and found nothing applicable. I decided to take a picture of the chick to post, but when I returned to see her, she was already dead.

Here is what she looked like:

[​IMG]

The white fuzz between her legs (by the pine shaving) is the area that seemed distended. It was about the size of an egg yolk. My curiosity got to me and I put on gloves, grabbed a few paper towels and a razor blade.

The hard lump was her gizzard. (I did not take any pictures of the insides, sorry. I didn't want to touch my phone while dissecting the chick.) It seemed large for such a small chick -- almost the size of a quarter. Above her gizzard was a pool of blood. I didn't see any other abnormalities, but I did look for her gender and I didn't find any "boy parts".

She seemed completely fine until this evening other than her shorter stature.

Why was her gizzard so low in her body? Does anyone have any ideas about what happened? Was this a genetic defect or some kind of disease or ?

Thanks in advance!

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Last edited: Dec 12, 2012
  3. chickenmama22

chickenmama22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2007
    I've seen mushy chick syndrome, but this didn't seem like an umbilical-type problem. It is the right location and the link you sent does say "often accompanied by " unhealed navals. I've never seen such a healthy 2 week old chick die so suddenly and the lumpy gut seemed odd. . Maybe this was a variation of the typical mushy chick case? Definitely an option.

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Sounds like maybe a birth defect then???

Again I am sorry for your loss and I hope the poor little girl didn't die in too much pain. Sometimes there is nothing we can do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by