dead chick again - why?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by 2overeasy, Sep 16, 2010.

1. 2overeasy

2overeasy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    Birchwood, TN
    I lost a Top Hat a couple of weeks ago to what I'm sure was a weasel (head removed-nothing else done to the body). Found another TH dead this morning. However, this time the body was completely intact and no bites or anything. I know chickens can just die and we don't know why, but this one was only 6 months old. Can they "just die," too?
    My coop is totally enclosed and they are locked up at night. I lost the first one b/c I was leaving the door to the coop open, but only open into their totally enclosed yard. A weasel could have gotten through the holes in their fence, though.
    Any ideas would be helpful. Oh, and why just the THs? Or is that just coincidence, maybe?
    Thanks

2. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Yes a weasel can get through a hole half an inch or larger. I suspect if you look over the bird you found dead you may find where it was bitten. Weasels lick up the blood. Been there seen that. The weasel will come back until he's cleaned you out unless you trap him.--not hard, use one of the dead birds for bait.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by