Dead chick - appears murder

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LADYKK, Jul 27, 2010.

1. LADYKK

LADYKK Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2010
    My hubby went out to feed the chicks this morning. They are about 7 weeks old. One was laying dead and it appeared it had been pecked to death. They are in a large coop and have plenty of food and fresh water. They are being fed starter and grower only. Do you have any reason why this may have happened and what we can do to prevent another chick dying? It hurts so bad. I had mother henned these babies so.
    Thanks

2. shellybean40

shellybean40 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Boerne, TX
    This happened to me!! I found blood and feathers on just two of my roos, so I got rid of them. I don't have a clue if she died, and then they pecked her, or if she injured herself, and they pecked and killed her-no idea. So sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

3. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Are they in there with other adult chickens? Because I don't think 7 week old chickens are capable of pecking each other to death.

4. BeccaB00

BeccaB00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    Yes chickens will do that. Just the other day I had one of my 4 month old chicks get pecked to death by her brothers and sisters. But 7 WEEKS? wow! [​IMG] Thats really young to even be starting this! It would be great if you could post pictures and let us see how big they are. I'm not sure of any way of stoping it besides seperating them all but then you would have to find the killer.

Heres a picture of 'Scar Face' another one of our 4 month old chicks that almost got pecked to death:

[​IMG][/img]

5. LADYKK

LADYKK Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2010
    No, there are no adults in with them - just the chicks by themselves. I cannot get any pictures tonight - maybe my hubby can get some tomorrow. I tend to the babies in the house. I am disabled and currently am not able to get outside myself.
    Thanks for your advice.

6. slackwater

slackwater Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2010
    SoMD
    I'm so sorry for your loss - I had a similar experience yesterday with a 9weeker. So sad [​IMG] don't know if she died, then they pecked, or vice versa - doesn't necessarily matter though [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by