dead chick, does this mean the others are doomed?

CAjerseychick

Songster
7 Years
Jun 25, 2012
Northern California!
So.... got chicks last Friday ( I think as of today they are about a week old)-- left for work, on Sat, family tended them and they were apparantly lively and well today-- I drove home about 3pm today (and have watched them since then- they are lively active eating and drinking)-- BUT at 3pm I looked (they are in a large dog kennel with heat lamp strapped to the wire door) and saw one laying down sprawled-- it was dead.... intact no injuries just dead....

Dont know what to think, they are on medicated chick starter...
I hope the others will be ok-- they really dont look or act sick at all...

Heat was off for 40mins this AM (hubby left and turned off the lamp) but they are inside and its about 70 degrees in here, he said all 6 were fine when he came home....
What do you guys think

(we have only had one other batch of young chicks, and they all survived, no losses)...

Every so often one will just up and die within that first week, and there will be no known cause and none of the others have any trouble.

If there are no other signs I would chalk it up to 'something wasn't quite right from hatch' and move on.

I know that is MUCH easier to say than do since they are so exceedingly cute at that stage.
hugs.gif

Every so often one will just up and die within that first week, and there will be no known cause and none of the others have any trouble.

If there are no other signs I would chalk it up to 'something wasn't quite right from hatch' and move on.

I know that is MUCH easier to say than do since they are so exceedingly cute at that stage.
hugs.gif
Ok thx I am really really hoping that was so (they all looked fine before I left for the weekend) and I did pick up 3 more (easter eggers) enroute home before I even knew the one had passed....

I agree, sometimes chicks just die for no apparent reason. I wouldn't go changing or intervening much unless the others show any signs of distress.

I do not know of anyone who has not had any losses with
chicks it is all part of the game ....

I mix my chick starter with turkey grow and the chicks tend
to eat more .........

no I know .... its just we had our broody hens do the work for us last yr but we are rusty now at doing this-- just did nt want to loose the whole batch.. I have used the gamebird starter (our reg brand Bar Ale has a turkey photo on it).. but I want them on medicated feed at least for the first month.... we got 3 more (EEs daughter wants the colored eggs) anyway, but now are treating for pasty butt (which is a first)-- also the last time we ordered straight from the hatchery we didnt lose any either-- in fact out of like 30 birds only 1 has ever died of disease (and it was at POL)....

Last edited:
no I know .... its just we had our broody hens do the work for us last yr but we are rusty now at doing this-- just did nt want to loose the whole batch.. I have used the gamebird starter (our reg brand Bar Ale has a turkey photo on it).. but I want them on medicated feed at least for the first month.... we got 3 more (EEs daughter wants the colored eggs) anyway, but now are treating for pasty butt (which is a first)-- also the last time we ordered straight from the hatchery we didnt lose any either-- in fact out of like 30 birds only 1 has ever died of disease (and it was at POL)....

Oh I understand if I hatch 30 I get all different and check everything again and again it is all part of raising chicks I kids tell me and when I ask them where they learned that their response is from you then I have to sit back and smile and tell them that's right ............

Take care of them chick's and enjoy
love.gif

I'm glad to have read this, I bought my chicks today from the local farmers store and one died a few hours later yet it had looked healthy, the others all look okay and I'm praying they will all survive.

This is my first batch.

Back
Top Bottom