1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

dead chick in egg

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by dawnbee, Aug 3, 2008.

1. dawnbee

dawnbee New Egg

Aug 3, 2008
    hi, this is my first time hatching eggs, my hen has been sat on 21 eggs for about 3 weeks, yesterday we found a broken egg with a fully formed dead chick in it, today we found a chick out of the egg, but dead, is there anything i can do apart from just wait and see? i haven't got an incubator i live in italy, if that's relevant.
    cheers
    dawn

2. BirdBoy88

BirdBoy88 Angel Egg

Dec 26, 2007
    Maryland
    Are the rest starting to hatch?

And yea it happens.. i've had it happen to me twice and i use and incubator.. no one really knows why chicks make it all the way to hatch day then die [​IMG] but since you have a broody one your eggs maybe someone else here can help you a little more

3. dawnbee

dawnbee New Egg

Aug 3, 2008
    the rest are doing nothing, they are just eggs, i'd hate for all her hard work to go to waste, she gets off once a day and has a bit of a gossip with the other ladies, but apart from that, she flattens herself down and stays with them, i know i have to just leaver her to it, but i get the feeling if i just crack them they will be ok, but i'm not going to, i know to just leaver them alone.

4. chick4chicks

chick4chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    N.E. Pa.
    I can't help You as i haven't hatched eggs yet but I want to wish You the best of luck on this hatch. Hope you get many sweet fuzzybutts.

5. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

This is not a sure thing, but where I'm located, myself and another fella that hatches eggs, we find that if we have a whopper of a T-storm, our incubator and brood hens will have very few if any hatch.
    The only thing I can assume here with myself is that we are sitting on ledge, where water runs and that gets electricity a conduit. It is not a power surge or failure, but in the last 19 days the chicks die.
    Good luck on your hatch and always have a back up plan on how you would cull any chicks that will be ill, deformed or unabsorbed yolk. Horrible to have to put chicks out of their misery, but have a way or person that can do this. Unfortunately it is a fact of life, not that I want to rain on your parade.
    There is nothing like a bunch of fuzzy butts around!!!! Love 'em!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by