dead chick in egg

dawnbee

Hatching
11 Years
Aug 3, 2008
hi, this is my first time hatching eggs, my hen has been sat on 21 eggs for about 3 weeks, yesterday we found a broken egg with a fully formed dead chick in it, today we found a chick out of the egg, but dead, is there anything i can do apart from just wait and see? i haven't got an incubator i live in italy, if that's relevant.
cheers
dawn

Are the rest starting to hatch?

And yea it happens.. i've had it happen to me twice and i use and incubator.. no one really knows why chicks make it all the way to hatch day then die
hmm.png
but since you have a broody one your eggs maybe someone else here can help you a little more

the rest are doing nothing, they are just eggs, i'd hate for all her hard work to go to waste, she gets off once a day and has a bit of a gossip with the other ladies, but apart from that, she flattens herself down and stays with them, i know i have to just leaver her to it, but i get the feeling if i just crack them they will be ok, but i'm not going to, i know to just leaver them alone.

I can't help You as i haven't hatched eggs yet but I want to wish You the best of luck on this hatch. Hope you get many sweet fuzzybutts.

This is not a sure thing, but where I'm located, myself and another fella that hatches eggs, we find that if we have a whopper of a T-storm, our incubator and brood hens will have very few if any hatch.
The only thing I can assume here with myself is that we are sitting on ledge, where water runs and that gets electricity a conduit. It is not a power surge or failure, but in the last 19 days the chicks die.
Good luck on your hatch and always have a back up plan on how you would cull any chicks that will be ill, deformed or unabsorbed yolk. Horrible to have to put chicks out of their misery, but have a way or person that can do this. Unfortunately it is a fact of life, not that I want to rain on your parade.
There is nothing like a bunch of fuzzy butts around!!!! Love 'em!

Back
Top Bottom