Dead Chick.. Miracle???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Suzie, Mar 17, 2013.

1. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    Yesterday one of my Silkie girls decided to help a chirping egg, she opened the shell and a tiny scrap of a chick fell out of the remainder of the eggshell. Luckily I was there to witness the happening and I promptly put the chick under another of my broody hens... this morning it was alive and chirping.. great I thought!

This afternoon, the hen that had been nurturing the chick was nowhere to be seen... the "dead" chick was in the nesting box .... very cold body, legs out backward and stiff... I lifted the dead chick from the box and held it in my hands... apologising and tearful at the loss of such a young life ( as you do...!) I was about to dispose of the dead body when one of the wings moved slowly... I was not sure that I had in fact seen this happen as the chick was dead...

I held the dead chick in my hands and rushed up to the house.. lit the oven and warmed it up.. Yes... really! I had been holding the lifeless and floppy headed chick in my hands and it opened it's beak. I put it in the oven at a low temperature and after an hour it was chirping... amazing! I have given it water and chick crumbs... tonight it is under one of my broody hens and it may survive.. I do hope so!

Never give up hope until a dead chick is dead....I am still in awe at the miracle of this chick... it deserves to live a happy and healthy life here - hopefully it will keep thriving.

Be sure that there is no hope before you dispense of a dead chick... I have learned something today that I would never before have thought possible....

2. Bnreimer

Bnreimer Out Of The Brooder

Nov 9, 2012
    Abbotsford BC
    GREAT!!!

I had two chicks this year that I thought were "dead" also. I literally had them in a box and was deciding if I should cull them because they were clearly suffering or take them inside and attempt to cure them. Same thing! A little water and a lot of warming they are alive and still side by side best friends.

Love that miracle!

3. amnich

amnich Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2013
    Same thing happens with baby bunnies. Maybe it works for all sorts of things.

4. owennreedsmama

owennreedsmama Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2013
    Aww how wonderful! Thanks for sharing. Just the story to end my day with. Goodnight :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by