Dead chick (PIC)***RED***Orpington?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Majestic Lane Poultry, Mar 3, 2009.

1. Majestic Lane Poultry

Majestic Lane Poultry Heart Strings Animal Rehoming

Feb 9, 2009
    I was so excited yesterday morning to see new babies under my precious Georgie. As some of you know...this is her first time brooding. She has been so diligent with the eggs only getting up when I made her.
    [​IMG]
    Anyway...as soon as I came home from work yesterday, I grabbed the camera and went out to find tragedy. Here are two pictures of her because I think maybe she was going to be red. And look at those nice blue legs. I have never had one this color before.
    [​IMG]
    and
    [​IMG].
    So sad. Some things are never easy. Georgie smothered two peeps and I took three away. She is still setting on six.

2. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    Best of luck with the rest and so sorry for the loss...[​IMG]

3. toyzbox

toyzbox Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Crestview, Fl
    Does that kind of thing happen often?[​IMG]

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Seemingly fine and healthy chicks die for no apparent reason. The mortality is high in the first month. It could be any number of reasons. Failure to thrive is a big one.

5. Majestic Lane Poultry

Feb 9, 2009
    Thank you for your kind replies. Maybe a twin will be there when I get home tonight...peeping.

6. wings

wings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Frostebite on the hen?... [​IMG]

7. BamaChicken

BamaChicken Orpingtons Bama Style

Nov 14, 2007
    Awweee, so sorry. Maybe you can reproduce it again. I know exactly how you feel. I am sure that most of us who have been hatching awhile have gone through the same thing.

8. cowman910

cowman910 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    Suffolk County,NY
    [​IMG]i have had that happen to me too many times [​IMG]

9. BrackenFarms

BrackenFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    Easley, SC
    i looked in the brooder when i got home and all were running around llike crazy. ten minutes later wifey comes home and one is dead as a doornail ???? it happens i guess:(

10. Majestic Lane Poultry

Feb 9, 2009
    Yeah it happens...but after all these years, I still find it sad when what seems to be a healthy one just dies.

Quote:Yep. Frostbite got her and my Buff Orpington roo, Jonathan. Thankfully, none of the other birds were affected. So darn cold and windy this winter.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by