Dead chick (PIC)***RED***Orpington?

Majestic Lane Poultry

Heart Strings Animal Rehoming
13 Years
Feb 9, 2009
I was so excited yesterday morning to see new babies under my precious Georgie. As some of you know...this is her first time brooding. She has been so diligent with the eggs only getting up when I made her.
Christmas08thru11508142-1.jpg

Anyway...as soon as I came home from work yesterday, I grabbed the camera and went out to find tragedy. Here are two pictures of her because I think maybe she was going to be red. And look at those nice blue legs. I have never had one this color before.
Peep002.jpg

and
Peep001.jpg
So sad. Some things are never easy. Georgie smothered two peeps and I took three away. She is still setting on six.

Seemingly fine and healthy chicks die for no apparent reason. The mortality is high in the first month. It could be any number of reasons. Failure to thrive is a big one.

Awweee, so sorry. Maybe you can reproduce it again. I know exactly how you feel. I am sure that most of us who have been hatching awhile have gone through the same thing.

i looked in the brooder when i got home and all were running around llike crazy. ten minutes later wifey comes home and one is dead as a doornail ???? it happens i guess:(

Yeah it happens...but after all these years, I still find it sad when what seems to be a healthy one just dies.

Quote:
Yep. Frostbite got her and my Buff Orpington roo, Jonathan. Thankfully, none of the other birds were affected. So darn cold and windy this winter.

Back
Top Bottom