dead chick. Picture. Poss esophageal obstruction..?

NorthwoodsChick

Fowl play will 🐝 encouraged 🐥🐔
Premium Feather Member
May 16, 2021
UP Michigan
My Coop
My Coop
5-6 day old Niederrheiner from McMurrays arrived in 48 hrs active and healthy but small. developed progressive lethargy 36 hrs ago, dead this AM.
Crop empty for 36 hrs but I noted a small firm verticle structure barely left of midline beginning at throat. It felt similar to a tendon on the back of a hand, being somewhat mobile and able to be moved between midline and left laterally, but would not cross the midline to the right. I began syringe feeding fluids, olive oil and gentle massage 36 hrs ago What I presumed to be the esophagus became more prominent vertically and protruded forward to where it is visible when parting the fluff. Mouth was clear upon exam this AM when she was found.
image.jpg
image.jpg
Is this esophageal impaction or something else?

Chick was not gasping, beak closed, no nasal drainage and no oral reflux after swallowing. She seemed to make swallowing motions, crop remained flat, not squishy after syringeing drops of fluid. I have not seen stool from her specifically but vent area clear.

My first time doing a full necropsy. Not at all what I expected. The protruding area was the vertebral column sharply subluxed forward. There was some subcutaneous blood staining to the mid scapular area so I’m chalking it up to a traumatic injury. chick was able to walk but had imbalance sitting (when alive obviously).

Esophagus and crop empty. Trachea was intact. Strangely the was LOTS of liquid bile in what I believe was the gizzard. but liver normal size and appearance, and no intestinal gas or stool. bowels were flat.
heart lungs unremarkable. kidneys were hard to locate posteriorly after I made a mess of the abdominal cavity and I couldn’t find gonads.
Anyway, that really sucked eggs to have to do. hope to have a long time before the next one. 😞

Back
Top Bottom