Dead chick what to do?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ibunnytail, Mar 18, 2017.

1. ibunnytail

ibunnytail Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2015
    California
    I bought three few months old chicks from local breeder on Monday, one is doing fine, one is sneezing a little, and one wasn't moving much. By Saturday, the one that wasn't moving much is dead. What can I do at this point? I want to believe seller didn't mean to sell me sick birds but how can she just died like that? All three are put in a separate cage (12' x 12') since I got them home and haven't been exposed to my own flock. They have shade, clean water, and food. Have their own hen house (new). What should I do at this point?

2. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    Day old chicks are fragile, and it is realistic to not expect them all to live. Some are just very fragile.

You really could call her, and see what she says. I am not sure if she will replace the chick or not... if the other one is sneezing, maybe you don't want more from her.

All I am saying, is it is not always easy to tell right away, which ones are going to make it or not. It always seems to be the one you really like that doesn't.

Mrs K

3. ibunnytail

Dec 30, 2015
    California
    I understand day old chicks are fragile but these three I got from him are about 3 months old! They costed me $100 in total!

4. zephyricle

zephyricle Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2017
    California
    I'll agree you should probably contact the seller and tell them that they sold you some sock birds. Pullets at 3 months are old enough to be on their own without problems. If it died soon after you got it, the seller gave you the bird sick. If the other one is sneezing Ill say keep the hens left AWAY from your flock until you know it isn't mycoplasma or other contagious diseases or viruses etc.

If the three cost you $100 I suguest asking for a refund for the lost one or a replacement...

5. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    Whoa - I missed that they were 3 months old. Yep, I would be calling, especially at those prices.

6. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    I'd be asking strictly for a refund - not a replacement. You don't want any more birds from that place with one dead and one still sneezing. Something else to think about would be to look into getting the remaining birds tested for disease if possible. This is not an issue I've had, and my chickens don't go to the vet so I don't know if this is something you could do or not. Hopefully someone with more knowledge on this will chime in.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  7. dekel18042

dekel18042 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    Three month old chicks shouldn't have died. Do you have other poultry? Did you put the new birds in quarantine? What type weather are you having? Warm? Cold? Are the birds inside or out? Just wonder if there were used to being in a poultry barn and then were put outside. But that seems awfully quick to have caught something from your place.
    I also thought the price seemed high. What breed, but I do see you are from California and I do know many things are more expensive there.

8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    How far away from your existing flock were the new birds?
    Did you change your shoes when moving from one enclosure to the other?

9. ibunnytail

Dec 30, 2015
    California
    They were separated from mine and all mine are fine. Mine roam free from my yard except the caged off area. No I didn't change shoes but I seriously think she was sick since I got her.

The seller agree to give me a replacement and that's fine with me. The three I got from him was a created cream legbar, an EE, and a cuckoo maran. He is more expensive than other seller around here. I got a Silkie and an ameraucana from another seller around the same age for $30. I honestly don't think I'll be going back to him again now after the replacement. But it is really nice of him to replace it for me. I'm glad...

10. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I would take the birds back and get a refund. If his birds have a respiratory illness, they're all going to have it. Likely they don't show symptoms until they are under some stress, like moving. I'm betting when you merge them with your current flock, within a month you'll have sick birds in your old flock.

and I have to say, holy moley, I gotta truck some birds down to CA to sell! my prices seem high for my area, and I charge $20 for a laying pullet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by