Dead Chick :-(

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Savvymamma, Nov 30, 2010.

1. Savvymamma

Savvymamma Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2010
    Michigan
    Ok, my first attempt at incubating chicken eggs was not a total failure. Out of 24 eggs I had shipped to me from out of state, I had 1 hatch. It was a Standard Faverolle pullet. [​IMG] I have chatted with her, tended to her, fussed over her, and made sure the brooder temp was right on. Well, she just turned 2 weeks and 3 days old today and when I came home from work, she was dead. [​IMG] WHat did I do wrong??? She was fine last night when I checked her, even this morning before I went to work, she was "chatting" with me. The only thing I didn't do was give her fresh water this morning. I have been giving her vitamins, could she have had them too long? She was feathered out nice, very strong, healthy, even her weight is/was good. I don't understand, I am heartbroken. I have more eggs in the incubator, but was so pleased to have my little girl hatch on my first attempt. [​IMG]

Any ideas???

Rhonda in MIchigan

2. trilyn

trilyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    East Syracuse
    [​IMG] Loneliness? Chicks/ens are very social animals. Were there any other chicks with her...from my understanding of your post-there was not. I'm sorry this happened to you, it is never easy losing one of these guys!! Heaven forbid, on your next hatch...you only hatch one..try a mirror and a feather duster or stuffed animal to keep it company. Or try and find some chicks nearby. Good luck!!!

3. Raven1

Raven1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2008
    Carthage, TN
    I am so sorry you lost her. Please don't blame yourself sometimes they just die you didn't have to "do" anything wrong sometimes it just happens [​IMG]

4. pw_quiltworks

pw_quiltworks One Handy Chick

Jan 7, 2009
    Maine
    Quote:Yep it happens sometimes for no reason. I will have some black copper maran eggs in Jan or Feb. I will give you some test eggs for free if you want to pay the shipping. I really will need a tester to see how they do. Maybe you will want to try again. I could also throw in some white silkie eggs too. Let me know if you would like to give this a try. I hope I am not being pushy. It's not my intent. Sorry about your loss. It's so easy to really like the chicks and very easy to get attached to them.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2010
  5. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

[​IMG] Savvy!!!! I am positive it was the lonliness. As someone else mentioned, chickens and flock animals and do not do well without another. Sometimes when a lone chick hatches, a mirror can be used to fool it. But the best thing is another chick. Please do not give up incubating either. The first few hatches can be a trial, but it is really worth it. Do some reading here on BYC about hatching and raising chicks and you will learn and get it right next time.

6. JustAChickenLittle&More

JustAChickenLittle&More Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Florida
    Handy Chick, that was very nice of you to offer eggs. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by