dead chick :(

cartersmith

In the Brooder
8 Years
Feb 13, 2011
when i woke up this morning i notice one of by 7 chicks was dad on the cage floor....they are just over a week old...he was smaller than the rest of the chicks do you think it could of be trampled over and this is why it dies. it was fine before bed last night flapping about with the others seemed lively enough
sad.png

If they are a few days to a week old it may be starve-out which means the little guy could not find the goodies. There are other hatching related issues that can cause death up within to 2 weeks after hatching.

Oh I'm really sorry for your loss.
hugs.gif
I have 8 new chicks (between 1 wk and 1/2 a wk old) and one silkie is sooooo much smaller than the rest and I'm just watching her and hoping she'll be okay.

I don't have any thoughts for you as to why it happened because I'm new to this but I just wanted to tell you I'm sorry.

Sorry about your chick.
hugs.gif
I don't know why it died. Just watch your other chicks to make sure they are not getting sick. Watch for chcks that are not eating, drinking, or running around like the others.

thanks ppl...this one was eating eating and drinking like the rest thats what has puzzled me so much and was also as livly. the only thing i can think of is because it was nearly half the size to the rest of them even tho was same age.

Sorry about your loss! Back when mine were chicks and of course I think we all have at least one slow grower I were told to seperate it out from the rest and make sure it were getting plenty of food and water incuding hard boiled egg yolks for added protein. Due to crying when alone I placed 2 in a seperate cage until they were large enough to be placed back with the others and made sure they could still see each other. It did not take them long to catch up to close to the same size.

Sometimes one will have what they call "failure to thrive," which just means, for some reason they never grow properly, probably due to an internal defect which could be any number of things. If it was eating and drinking it's likely there is nothing you could have done. Sorry it happened to you. It's really not that uncommon.

he.gif
i only sed last nite if it dow start growing i was gunna seperate!!!! wish i had of done now
hit.gif

Quote:
Even that may not have helped. If it was failure to thrive, not anything you could do. isolating it would have made it very unhappy, and i would have died alone...

Back
Top Bottom