dead chick?!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Julie08, May 28, 2008.

1. Julie08

Julie08 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    I got home last night and found that my group of cochin and silkie hens had hatch yet another baby. They are all sharing the same eggs and are not holding them so they all hatch at the same time they are just laying and sitting so I'm getting a couple of chicks a day from them. The all share eggs sit on the same eggs and don't bother the chicks when they hatch but they don't take care of the chicks either. One could easy get off and take care of the chicks while the others sit on the eggs. Well, when I got home the chick was outside the nest "dead" sprawled out on is stomach legs straight out behind him eyes closed mouth open not breathing his body was COLD. I thought it must have died because it was to cold. I picked it up to take it and bury it...... I felt its heart beating I couldn't believe it I gentle shook him touched is face eyes beak no response........I took him in to the brooder put him under the heat gave him some water with a syringe with in one hour he was up eyes open and alive. He has NO idea how close he was to crossing over.

2. basicliving

basicliving Keepin' the sunny side up

Mar 20, 2008
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    Wow, Julie, that's amazing! Good thing you happened in just when you did. I hope the baby makes it. Good think you're a better Mother Hen than your chickens! Please let us know how the baby does.

ETA: WE NEED A PICTURE OF THE MIRACLE BABY!!!!!
    [​IMG]

Take care,
    Penny

Last edited: May 28, 2008
  3. Julie08

May 19, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    I will get pictures. I think he will be just fine if he didn't have a bit of different colouring then the others I wouldn't even be able to tell him apart. I truly believe he had MINUTES left in him when I came across him. I have been checking under the hens every 24 hours because I knew they wouldn't take care of the chicks. This one is chick 16 so far. Now, I'm checking every 12 hours so this won't happen again.

4. CathyB

CathyB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    PA
    Lucky baby. Glad that you tried everything first. Hope the little one makes it. Show us some pics!

5. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Great job!!! [​IMG] I love happy endings. [​IMG]

6. basicliving

Mar 20, 2008
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    You've got your very own mini-hatchery going on there! How many are you going to let them hatch?

Penny ====> who is patiently awaiting pictures........ [​IMG]

7. Julie08

May 19, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    I dont know I have hatched 67 in the incubator and they are at 18 or so themselves. I put another 16 eggs under them that are at day 15, I have another couple dozen in holding deciding what I want to do with them.

8. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Maybe you should name it Phoenix because it rose back up again. I love happy endings!!

9. Julie08

May 19, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    LOL that's a great idea!! Of course I was thinking of the not so unique "Lucky" but I like Pheonix much better.

10. basicliving

Mar 20, 2008
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    I love the name Phoenix! Just perfect for this lucky one!

Julie - you're growing quite a flock! I'm just starting with my first batch of ordered chicks - but I'm already thinking baby chicks may be in my future...... if we do decide on more chickens, I'd much rather have the hens hatch them than order them. Even an incubator sounds fun!

Best of luck. Please be sure to keep us updated on Phoenix. Did I mention a picture would be nice [​IMG]

Take care,
    Penny

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by