dead chick

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by varikia, Jan 3, 2014.

1. varikia

varikia Out Of The Brooder

Jan 3, 2014
    tasmania
    Can anyone help me out, I had a hen with 10 eggs under her 25 days later she has 5 we checked on her and one had a crack and we seen movement so immediately left her about and hour later we checked on her and she was sitting comfy again, but suddenly we here a loud pop sound and a bad smell so we made the decission to leave we were worried so another hour passed and we decided to lift her up and check there was a lifeless little leg hanging out the shell and this time another cracked egg with green stuff coming out we have removed them from her but not sure what to do now can anyone help

2. ckickenlegs

ckickenlegs New Egg

Jan 3, 2014
    happy valley ,australia
    sounds like some might already have been dead and they have turned rotten the popping noise was probably the egg exploding and the smell because it was rotten.all you can do is try again. oh and the missing eggs are probably been taken by rats.[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 3, 2014
  3. varikia

Jan 3, 2014
    tasmania
    Thank you for advice we were worried durin. Wether to take the remaining 3 eggs away from her and try to stop her from brooding, her plume has almost lost her red colour to pale pink I'm pretty worried, there has been another hen sitting for about a week she has 4 under her but won't let us anywhere near her

4. varikia

Jan 3, 2014
    tasmania
    Sorry I never said she threw the other eggs out cracked early on :-(

5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    If this is a chicken, they normally hatch in 21 days, sometimes a little longer, but 25 is about the extent of it. It sounds like she needs food and drink. They always lose some weight when sitting on eggs. I would toss the rest of the eggs, and urge her to get off the nest, and start foraging or eating.

Since none hatched, it makes me wonder if they were fertile. If ou do this again, you might want to open an egg or two before letting her sit, and see if they are. Here is how to tell:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/16008/how-to-tell-a-fertile-vs-infertile-egg-pictures/0_20

6. varikia

Jan 3, 2014
    tasmania
    She is eating every day she has a food bowl by her and eat from my hand and her drink bowl is always pretty much empty, I reckon I'll throw them away :-( but I'm more worried about her at the moment

7. ckickenlegs

ckickenlegs New Egg

Jan 3, 2014
    happy valley ,australia
    oh ok ,and its probably best not to disturb them when they are sitting too.

8. varikia

Jan 3, 2014
    tasmania
    Thank you for the help. Another question is it normal for hens eggs to go from white to Brown and vice versa?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by