Dead chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Nightcro, Feb 17, 2015.

1. Nightcro

Nightcro Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2015
    This is my first hatch. The chicks are 2 days old. I noticed yesterday one chick kept getting on its back and could not right itself. I watched it all day and had to turn it over 3 times. I told my wife we'd have to keep an eye on it through the night and tomorrow (now today). She woke me up a few hours later and we found it on its back dead. Any ideas? I don't want a repeat if at all possible!

2. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

If your brooder is warm enough and the rest of your chicks are eating and drinking they will probably be fine. Sometimes chicks have an internal problem that causes what we call "failure to thrive". I am reasoably sure that you did not do anything wrong.

3. beagleman77

beagleman77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2015
    I hatched my first a two weeks ago and 100% hatched all 21 but I had one that one chick that kept flipping on its back I would flip it it lived did it have anything on you thought that might have been a little different than the others

4. ducks4you

ducks4you Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    East Central Illinois
    Not all chicks that hatch are healthy. You didn't say, but often if you help them hatch you are prolonging the inevitable and a weak chick takes days to die, instead of hours.
    When you buy hatched chicks the hatchery has already culled out the weak chicks, so, if you care for them properly, they will probably all survive.
    The last group I ordered were a group of 25 EE chicks. McMurray Hatchery sent 27, I drove all over the place that day after picking them up, got home, and put them in the brooder. They were all exhausted, and I thought that I killed most of them. Next day, every chick was up running around, and all lived.
    You should realize that birds can be hearty, but once a bird gets sick, that bird can go downhill quickly. I have two adult roosters up and die on me. All other birds in the enclosure were healthy and survived, but these two got sick from who knows what. I won't eat them if they die of unknown causes, but I have eaten hens attacked by a predator.

5. beagleman77

beagleman77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2015
    I had a 100% hatch and 100% survival so 2 weeks and 3 days 4 of them 2 days but any way they all are healthy they got put in a small pen outside they love it so much they chirp all the time

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by