Dead chicken + 1 looks sick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by JDelage, Nov 16, 2016.

1. JDelage

JDelage Out Of The Brooder

Sep 11, 2016
    All,

We got our first chickens a couple weeks ago. They've been doing fine mostly. They are young hens - around 13-14 weeks as of now.

This morning I found one dead in the run. There was no sign of injury. Our setup is an elevated coop over a small enclosed run, and an automated door leading to a larger enclosed run. The dead chicken was inside the enclosed run just under the coop. So it made it down the ladder (or it fell off the steps as it was going down - it was pretty much under the ladder).

Now I notice one chicken that seems lethargic. It's standing but very sleepy.

What should I do? I don't really have a space set up for isolation. I suppose I could set something up in our garage...

Thanks,

JD

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I wouldn't be so concerned with one chicken dying, but with a second one showing signs of illness, I would get some Corid liquid or powder from a feed store, to treat for possible coccidiosis. A vet could test a few fresh droppings if available. Corid dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid, or 1 1/2 tsp of the powder per gallon of water for 5 days. It is best to treat all chickens at the same time. Symptoms of coccidiosis are lethargy, refusal to eat, standing puffed up or hunched posture, and runny or bloody poops. You can send a refrigerated body into your state vet or poultry lab for a necropsy to find the cause of death. Also check for any signs of lice or mites, check the crop to see if it is empty, full, hard, or soft. Sorry for your loss.

3. JDelage

Sep 11, 2016
    Thanks. I got some of the drug (amprolium) from the place I got the chickens from. That 2nd chicken isn't doing well. I carried her to the roosting bar but she fell off so I put her in a nesting box. Probably not going to make it I expect....

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Make sure that you get the medicine into the sick chickens orally, since sick ones may not eat or drink. Use the dosage I posted above. Are you seeing blood in the droppings? Make sure you cange the medicated water daily, and keep the bedding clean and dry. Let us know how things go, and hopefully you won't lose any more.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2016
  5. JDelage

Sep 11, 2016
    The sick chicken didn't make it; she died during the night.

The other chickens look fine and at least are getting their drug now.

6. JDelage

Sep 11, 2016
    Thank you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by