dead chicken another not looking good

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 3girlschickens, Aug 7, 2014.

1. 3girlschickens

3girlschickens New Egg

Aug 7, 2014
    We found our buff orphington dead this morning. Our light brahma is acting funny, she keeps falling over and laying down and falling asleep. She is eating and drinking. She has been sitting around with her butt in the air for about a week now. She is about 22 weeks old and has not laid any eggs yet. Thanks for any advice you can give me!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. How hot has it been there--could she be dehydrated? You might want to put some electrolytes in the water, and add a couple of extra pans of water around the area in the shade. What do the poops look like? You could check inside her vent 1-2 inches to see if an egg is stuck--use a rubber glove. Has she ever been wormed? Valbazen and SafeGuard liquid or paste are could.

3. 3girlschickens

3girlschickens New Egg

Aug 7, 2014
    Hello thanks!
    It has been in the 80's low humidity for the last week or so. We just gave her some electrolytes. Her poop is greenn and white. She was bought from Tractor supply but since we bought her she has not been wormed. We did add some water to her food and a scrambled egg and she is eating like crazy and she seems to be standing up all right.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
  4. 3girlschickens

3girlschickens New Egg

Aug 7, 2014
    She is still hanging on. I checked her to see if an egg could be stuck but felt nothing. Her comb is a very dark red. I saw no worms in her poop. What could it be?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by