Dead chicken! Green skin, What do you think happened?

B_o

Chirping
Mar 28, 2022
Florida
Hi, earlier today i found my hen dead in the coop. At first i thought she suffocated (she might’ve thats still on the table) because of the moist dirt covering her face. I have no other diagnosis but i want to share if someone does. Im sure she was dead for long because she was cold and stiff and she attracted ants and a fly. There was no puncture wound, i didn’t thoroughly check tho (bit disgusted/sad tbh), her breath smelled terrible and her mouth was a bit slimy, her vent seemed kinda inside out/ Prolapsed just a bit. Her belly area, just under her vent, was a light green color just under the skin and ants were all over her stomach. i checked her skin in other places and it was also a little bit green. And her comb was a light green but the tips where redish. All my other hens look fine and not missing any feathers so this is a mystery to me

Do you have gnats? I had a hen that died from gnats. Her skin was green - from blood loss. This is a picture of her right after she died.
20220422_195215.jpg

Do you have gnats? I had a hen that died from gnats. Her skin was green - from blood loss. This is a picture of her right after she died.
View attachment 3210497
I have some gnats that fest near my coup but i dont really see them in the coup. They could’ve gone inside when im not around tho. She had the same green shade on her body. How did the gnats kill her do you know? Also, Sorry for your loss<33.

Green can be bruising, but also the start of decomp as well if she's been there long enough. So sorry for your loss!
Yea she couldve been decomposing bc of the smell coming from her mouth. I would think it happened the day before i found her could’ve happened in the morning idrk

I have some gnats that fest near my coup but i dont really see them in the coup. They could’ve gone inside when im not around tho. She had the same green shade on her body. How did the gnats kill her do you know? Also, Sorry for your loss<33.
She was broody and already had crop issues, so I believe the gnats just sucked too much blood. A healthy rooster also had the same green and he lived. I had 2 more 3 month old chicks die from suffocation from the gnats.

She was broody and already had crop issues, so I believe the gnats just sucked too much blood. A healthy rooster also had the same green and he lived. I had 2 more 3 month old chicks die from suffocation from the gnats.
Oh wow. I didnt know that could happen to chickens🤯. My hen was healthy as far as i could tell. Im glad your rooster survived

Back
Top Bottom