Dead Chicken Help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jkuklinsky1, Dec 19, 2011.

1. jkuklinsky1

jkuklinsky1 New Egg

Dec 19, 2011
    Hi- new to the forum and to chickens. We inherited 11 chickens from a friend about 1 month ago. Last week our neighbors dog got 2 of them. This morning when we went out to tend the chickens found one dead in the coop. I have inspected it thinking she received some injuries from that dog attack but cannot find anything. The chicken is about 1 1/2 years old and is a black australorp. The other chickens seem fine this morning - eating drinking, talking, scratching. Any suggestions? Also worried about eating eggs if this is a sickness.

2. GreenMeadows

GreenMeadows Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2011
    You can isolate and just not eat the eggs for a while if you are worried but if you didnt give any meds then you are fine to eat the eggs. So sorry about the loss!
    Quote:

3. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    [​IMG] I wish you had joined under better circumstances.

Based on what you said about the attack, I would say the bird died from internal injuries. I wouldn't think that you had a sickness unless you are having something else going on that you didn't mention. Are your birds showing any signs of illness?

4. jkuklinsky1

jkuklinsky1 New Egg

Dec 19, 2011
    no - for right now they all seem to look and be acting normal. Thanks for the advice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by