Dead chicken, how do I tell her mate?

Jan 3, 2020
We had a pair of silkies and his mate died today. How should I take care of him? What can I do to make sure he doesn’t get depressed and die to?

Are you in the United States?
You should send the one that died to your state lab for a necropsy so you'll know what happened and if it's possible to prevent any of your other birds from dying from the same reason.

I would suggest a mirror if it was a hen but that might not work so well for a rooster! I guess it would depend on how he's acting. If he's acting quiet and moody, I might try to keep him company, maybe play some nice music if that's possible.maybe play some nice music if that's possible. If he's acting restless, I would search boredom busters for chickens on the internet. Things like hanging cabbage on a string for them to pick at is good entertainment.

I would suggest a mirror if it was a hen but that might not work so well for a rooster! I guess it would depend on how he's acting. If he's acting quiet and moody, I might try to keep him company, maybe play some nice music if that's possible.maybe play some nice music if that's possible. If he's acting restless, I would search boredom busters for chickens on the internet. Things like hanging cabbage on a string for them to pick at is good entertainment.
Give him a chicken stuffed animal until you can get a real hen. Might not be as great as the real tging, but he'll still appreciate it.

Back
Top Bottom